Detail (D-SLR)
Rating (out of 10)​
Build quality 9.5
Ergonomics & handling 9.0
Features 9.0
Image quality 9.0
Performance (speed) 9.5
Value 9.0

DPReview - does anyone take them seriously anymore?

with DP review, IMO its best to look at the test images, and figure out the better camera yourself.

Since dPreview sold out to Amazon, the hard-hitting comments about flaws and overlooked or under-cooked design features present in camera bodies have largely been abandoned, in favor of a more sales-friendly attitude toward the reviewed products. The hard-hitting, direct, point-blank comments the reviewers used to make in their d-slr reviews are a thing of the past. The new reviews are what I would call softball reviews. Of course, considering that the corporate owner is a mega-retailer that works in concert with many,many photo equipment vendors, hard-hitting, critical reviews could harm sales made on click-throughs.

It seems to me that dPreview has lost much of its former shine.

Since dPreview sold out to Amazon, the hard-hitting comments about flaws and overlooked or under-cooked design features present in camera bodies have largely been abandoned, in favor of a more sales-friendly attitude toward the reviewed products. The hard-hitting, direct, point-blank comments the reviewers used to make in their d-slr reviews are a thing of the past. The new reviews are what I would call softball reviews. Of course, considering that the corporate owner is a mega-retailer that works in concert with many,many photo equipment vendors, hard-hitting, critical reviews could harm sales made on click-throughs.

It seems to me that dPreview has lost much of its former shine.
That's too bad too...

Their full Nikon D300s review is up now, too:

Nikon D300S Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Canon EOS 7D:

Detail (D-SLR)
Rating (out of 10)​
Build quality 9.5
Features 9.5
Image quality 9.0
Performance (speed) 9.0
Value 9.0

Nikon D300s:

Detail (D-SLR)
Rating (out of 10)​
Build quality 9.5
Features 9.0
Image quality 9.0
Performance (speed) 9.5
Value 9.0

DPReview - does anyone take them seriously anymore?
No, and this comparison shows why.

The 7D gets a 9.5 in features compared to the D300s 9.0? :lol: Right.

I would say the D300s is the clear winner in a dual between these two bodies.

I still like dpreview to research information and specs on cameras. But other than that, I also find their reviews are very soft.

Anyone have a more direct review site?

The 7D gets a 9.5 in features compared to the D300s 9.0? :lol: Right.

I would say the D300s is the clear winner in a dual between these two bodies.

I read the reviews and thought there was nothing there that would cause me to even think about jumping brands. So, I'm curious as to your opinion of why there is a 'clear winner'. And if I understand the application of the smilie, what the 300S offers to provide the superior feature set.

So they kept comparing it to a 50D, is it a 1.6 processor or full frame?

$3500? Mine cost $1699

$3500? Mine cost $1699

Sorry that was the "kit" price in that article.

I still don't see it as being better than a D40/50 type which can be had for $1000 less these days.

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera Review

What about this place. They say as you increase the sharpness settings the camera improves a lot and its better than 50d with noise. You can see it in the images.

I am really interested in getting one. Or maybe I should just get the 5d mk2 but then I need all new lenses too. :grumpy:

I am planning on getting 70-200 2.8 soon anyways.

Last edited:
Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera Review

What about this place. They say as you increase the sharpness settings the camera improves a lot and its better than 50d with noise. You can see it in the images.

I am really interested in getting one. Or maybe I should just get the 5d mk2 but then I need all new lenses too. :grumpy:

I am planning on getting 70-200 2.8 soon anyways.

Finally, someone other than me who points out that you can, you know...sharpen RAW files. Stronger AA filter = more sharpening in post. Crazy, that. :lol:

If you'll need to re-invest in all-new glass to go to full-frame, I'd likely stick to what you have; that is, stick to crop bodies. Unless you have the capital to throw around like that. (Oh, and that 70-200/2.8 is fantastic awesome sauce cake with cherries...)

Most reactions

Back