What's new

7D vs D7000 for fast action sports?

outdoors

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in need of a camera that will do a good job for high speed fast action sports. 6fps is the bare min I can get away with and more is better. Fast and accurate autofocus is must. Nearly everything will be shot during the day so low light performance isn't much of an issue for 95% of the work.

In the prosumer price range the 7D could be the winner based on the 8fps. But buffer size (continuous shooting at max fps) is very important too. Will be shooting jpeg so RAW performance isn't a concern.

Weather resistance is another benefit I'm looking for.

Has anyone done a comparison of continuous high FPS shooting between the 7D and D7000?
 
Last edited:
I cant comment much on the 7D as I've never used one...so I won't lol

Here's an idea possibly for you:
The Nikon D300 can shoot 8fps. An the 52 pt. AF is decent, PLUS they can be had at a pretty good prices right now.

Or if you want something newer, then the D7000 is the answer.

I have a D7000 and a couple D300's and I'm not gonna lie the D7000 is a sick body!! The new EXSpeed II processor is astounding! Fast and incredibly accurate in all AF modes. The only thing the D300 has on it is that its faster fps (8) and has more AF points (52), but that's about all it has on the 7000. In everything else, the 7000 blows it away!
 
In everything else, the 7000 blows it away!

How many frames can you get at 6fps before the buffer fills and begins to slow down?
 
Like EPPhoto, i'm not going to comment on the D7000 as i've never used it, but I use the 7D almost every day at work, as a fair chunk of my work is sports pics. The AF is superb - accurate and fast. I've covered football and motor racing with it with no hunting issues at all. My only gripe with it is the relatively low RAW buffer (15), tho as you said you'll be shooting in JPG the buffer of 125 should be fine (tho these are only with a UDMA card). I was covering cricket at the weekend and the heavens opened, me and my gear got drenched - 7D included - with no adverse effects whatsoever. Its as good as my 1D mark 3, and i'd argue the 7D's AF is as accurate as that, and may be fractionally faster.
 
outdoors said:
How many frames can you get at 6fps before the buffer fills and begins to slow down?

I think the buffer on jpgs is 100 @ 6fps
 
I use the D7000 for fast-action sports and it's perfect IMO.

Cool. Would you be willing to run your D7000 through the test situation that Ken Rockwell used for the 7D above? A head to head comparison would be very useful.

Have you had your D7000 in any wet weather conditions?

And your pics are wonderful. Do you have any sample image sequences of really fast action (like motocross, bike racing or ski racing)?
 
Last edited:
You'd honestly be better off shooting with a D300.
-It has more AF points (51)
-Faster fps (very important)
-Iit's weather sealed better than the D7000.
-Lastly...it's cheaper!!

I can't comment on the Canon side of things. Sorry.
 
The D300 is a contender but I didn't mention it because I have reservations about buying older tech. I know its stupid as the camera clearly takes great pictures. Plus the camera feels big once the grip is added.
 
Rockwell's review of the Canon 7D has some major negatives listed:http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/7d.htm

"If you can get over this graffiti in the finder, the 7D's AF system usually works great, and especially intriguing is how well it works in dim light with slow zoom lenses with no need for an AF illuminator. By "usually," it's fast, but in the auto-sensor-select mode, it usually picks the closest thing, which isn't always your subject. The Nikon D3 is uncanny at finding and focusing on the subjects eyeball, while the 7D just guesses. Worse, instead of the 7D needing just one button to select the AF sensor you want when the auto-select doesn't get you there, you have to use three different controls in exact sequence! ([ + ], M-Fn, then the little thumb controller or control dials.)"--Ken Rockwell

"The Canon 7D adds the first completely new AF system in Canon's amateur cameras in a very long time, which sounds nice, but it's still not as good as Nikon's 51-point systems in their better cameras. Nikon's better AF sensors don't go black and block your finder, either. The Nikon D300 isn't all that exciting, but the AF system of the Nikon D3 is worlds better than the 7D.The side AF sensors are less precise than the center sensor, if you're using a lens at least as fast as f/2.8. With a fast lens, like the 50mm f//1.8 II, I get much better results using only the center sensor. Unlike the Nikon D3, which really uses facial recognition acquired with its full-color three-dimensional 1,005 zone light meter to nail focus right on the closest eye of your subject, the relatively primitive 7D has no such ability. In its auto-AF select mode, the 7D merely focuses on whatever's closest, which may or may not be your subject."--Ken Rockwell​

"Tracking AF, where the 7D tries to move AF sensors as the subject flies around the finder, is nowhere near as good as Nikon's 51-point color 3D system. The 7D is simply too blind to capture and track subjects across the finder, compared to all the data the Nikon systems use to keep that AF sensor uncannily on your subject as it moves around, or as you change composition. There is no AF illuminator, and the 7D doesn't need it. Be careful; sometimes the 7D will try to pop off a flash for AF assist unless you disable that in a menu. If it's very dark, the AF zones will blink in red for a moment as selected, but they also stay black until after you shoot. I'm not all that impressed with the 7D's AF performance. The ergonomics are worse than older AF systems as in the 5D Mark II, and when shooting action at 8 FPS with an 18-135mm EF-S, I don't see that I got particularly well-tracking autofocus. I prefer the 5D Mark II, sorry."--Ken Rockwell
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom