7th Grade Girls Volleyball Tourney -Comments Welcome

CMfromIL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter had a tourney this weekend. Although they didn't win all their games, it was a very large gym and allowed me to try various shots I can't normally get at smaller gyms. (Mainly behind the net).
It was also relatively well lit, both with lights and with some sunlight through a number of large windows. This allowed me to dial down the ISO to around 2500.
I kept aperature at f/2.8, and speed around 800. I used my 70-200 IS II. Lastly, I turned 'off' the IS function on the lens....and my clarity jumped through the roof! I think I'll only turn it back on in situations where my speed is in the 100 range.

Enjoy. The first picture is with my 16-35mm at 16mm. Just to show the gym.

IMG_3970-1_zps168136e2.jpg

2. Block!
IMG_4353-1_zps40e08dc6.jpg

3. Watch the serve
IMG_4164-1_zps5523cba6.jpg

4. Serve
IMG_4542-1_zpsfa1dbb8e.jpg

5. Return
IMG_4469-1_zps89b3dc39.jpg

6. Almost over
IMG_4202-1_zpscdac4264.jpg

CMfromIL, can you post more details on the specs for each pic (aperture, speed, ISO, etc.)? I am interested in this, as I see myself taking these types of pictures in the near future (of my son and daughter).

Sure. Speed 1/800 although as the day went along and lighting got dimmer I shot a few 1/640. ISO was 2500 in the early am, 3000 in the afternoon. Aperature was a constant 2.8, with the exception of the 1st shot with the 16-35mm. I had that one around 5.6 I think for more focus.ck.

Key to gym shots is fast glass. I used to have a 75-300mm variable f4-5.6 lens that was crap. Need a 2.8 for most low light situations. Even then it's not unusual to shoot with an ISO in the 5000+ range.

Good luck

CMfromIL said:
Sure. Speed 1/800 although as the day went along and lighting got dimmer I shot a few 1/640. ISO was 2500 in the early am, 3000 in the afternoon. Aperature was a constant 2.8, with the exception of the 1st shot with the 16-35mm. I had that one around 5.6 I think for more focus.ck.

Key to gym shots is fast glass. I used to have a 75-300mm variable f4-5.6 lens that was crap. Need a 2.8 for most low light situations. Even then it's not unusual to shoot with an ISO in the 5000+ range.

Good luck

How far were you...pictures are great.

About 12' from the edge of the court, either on the sides or from behind the players. I probably could have gotten closer, but didn't want to upset the officials. Technically the parents were to be taking pictures from the stands. However with the putty lens, they may have figured I was from the local paper?:lmao:

Keep this thought in mind next time out, the majority of players are right handed, so be off on what would be the left side of the court to them for the team you want to shoot. That way when they are striking the ball the arm does not cross in front of their face when trying to get shots of serves or kills at/near the time of striking the ball. I hate when I get perfect timing on the hit only to realize I was on the wrong side and the face was blocked by the arm.

Thanks Tony, I'll try that tonight!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back