What's new

8 metre sailboat heeling waaaaay over!

Antarctican

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
24,892
Reaction score
85
Location
The Great White North
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
img98678m2ww1.jpg


I've always been amazed these things don't have lifelines. The skipper would hate this pic, as the telltales aren't flying properly and the boat isn't optimally headed into the wind.
 
It's not really practical, but I'd love to be able to see what's going on from the other side. The wood on the hull looks very expensive. I can see what you mean though, the sails do look a little lifeless, was it moving fast at the time?
 
that is a beautiful boat...where are all the hikers!??!
 
It's not really practical, but I'd love to be able to see what's going on from the other side. The wood on the hull looks very expensive. I can see what you mean though, the sails do look a little lifeless, was it moving fast at the time?
You wouldnt' be able to see much from the other side....this thing was almost flat on its side and has an enormous sail, so you'd be far away from it if taking a pic. It was going fast until it got overpowered by the wind (given the heading the skipper had chosen), so it was rounding up (to right itself from that dramatic heel), and thus slowing down.

that is a beautiful boat...where are all the hikers!??!
They're either on the coachroof, or on the low side and scrambling to hang on I'll bet! I've been on a boat that heeled that far when I was on the low side, and I was up to my knees in water, even though I was perpendicular to the water. That was scary enough, and that boat had lifelines. This one doesn't. ~~~These wooden 8M boats are indeed beautiful to see sailing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom