80-200 v. 70-200

LuckySo-n-So

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been contemplating getting the 80-200 or the 70-200VR. I have researched this quite a bit and even used the search function on this most venerable forum.

Damn you Jerry and your common sense and hands on experience! (re: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ens-nikon-vs-sigma-vs-tamron.html#post1623302)

While I'm sure the 80-200 is a fine lens, the AF concerns I've read about have me hesitating. Now I have to save for a couple more months. :banghead:

Can anyone talk me into the 80-200?

lol... all I will say is... know your needs and don't put yourself into debt for this hobby, but if you can get the 70-200... well, you know what I am going to say. All the rest was said on the page that you linked to. :lmao:

Last edited:
Can anyone talk me into the 80-200?

I had an 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D before getting my 70-200, and it was a fantastic lens. The extra features of the 70-200 are nice, but the 80-200 is a lens you will not be dissappointed owning.

Get the 80-200 f/2.8D now and use it as you continue saving towards the 70-200 f/2.8G.

Sell the 80-200 f/2.8 when you are ready to purchase the 70-200.

Personally, I would do (and I did) the Sigma 70-200 HSMII Macro over the Nikon 80-200

From Best to not best (IMO, All are good choices) Nikon 70-200 VR, Sigm 70-200 HSMII, Nikon 80-200.

The Sigma is the least expensive, the quality is outstanding!!

None will disappoint at all.

Well, if you're worried about the focus issues, maybe you could look for the last 80-200, the f/2.8 AF-S model, which has, well AF-S focusing speed; most 80-200 2.8 Nikkors are the much-older designs. There were single-ring models with a combined focus/zoom ring which was a very handy lens to use as a manual focusing lens, then there was a D-version of that, and there have been made many of the last, two-ring designs. Most people nowadays are talking about the 200mm f/2.8 AF-D model or the "two ring", which has screwdriver focusing.

Since there's a new 70-200 VR model just around the corner, but it's got a MAP of $2,499, I've been wondering if the newer 70-200 will depress the price of older 70-200VR's on the used market, or if the significant cost of the new model will actually DRIVE UP the price of existing, used first-generation 70-200 VRs....

So, think of it this way: in three or four months there will be LOTS MORE used 70-200 VR models on the used market, as the bleeding edgers sell their older model to go for the second-generation model.

Not so oddly, there is no pro level Nikkor glass that I could not sell for the same or slightly higher $ than what I paid for it 1-2 years ago. Prices have gone up a LOT for some things (165 to 260 for a SB-600) and less so for other things, but Nikkor lenses have a remarkable ability to retain their value over time.

Personally, I would do (and I did) the Sigma 70-200 HSMII Macro over the Nikon 80-200

From Best to not best (IMO, All are good choices) Nikon 70-200 VR, Sigm 70-200 HSMII, Nikon 80-200.

Read the linked post at the start of this thread where I had the chance to use all 3 lenses on the same day and test them out back to back... the results may surprise you.

Read the linked post at the start of this thread where I had the chance to use all 3 lenses on the same day and test them out back to back... the results may surprise you.

I'm not doubting your opinion at all but I have also had my hands on all three. If you were using the non HSM or HSM I, I'd say you were dead on on your review. I am really curious to know which version of the sigma you tested as there are several variants (and we all know that they are known for letting soft copies out of the factory).

The new 70-200 APO EX HSM II Macro is the version I'm referring too. The biggest change (though they have many improvements to the other areas including optics) is the focus motor. IT IS almost as fast as the nikon, and nearly as accurate. It is a major improvement over the HSM I version.

There are a few versions of the lens still selling around new.

Get the 80-200 f/2.8D now and use it as you continue saving towards the 70-200 f/2.8G.

Sell the 80-200 f/2.8 when you are ready to purchase the 70-200.

Not so oddly, there is no pro level Nikkor glass that I could not sell for the same or slightly higher $ than what I paid for it 1-2 years ago. Prices have gone up a LOT for some things (165 to 260 for a SB-600) and less so for other things, but Nikkor lenses have a remarkable ability to retain their value over time.

I bought the 80-200 off of ebay for $600, used it for a year, and then sold it for almost $700 for the upgrade to the 70-200, which I got for $1250 still in the plastic...an absolute steal nowadays.

With the exception of the camera body, I know I could at least get my money back with what I have into my equipment should I ever have to......god forbid.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back