80mm XF OIS WR swirly bokeh?

It is expensive to be sure. If I had a need for such a lens I would probably go with the 100mm Tokina or something similar and adapt it. My 60 is all the macro I need and it goes to 1:1 with an extension ring.

What ring are you using? I love m 60mm macro!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back in the 35mm days, lens manufacturers began producing macro lenses in the 100mm range and even longer to provide more working distance from the subject. Personally I think 50 or 60mm is ideal for APS-C format and 80 seems a little long in the smaller format despite its popularity for 35mm format. The 60 f2.4 is also as sharp as a new razor blade. Gary, you can have extension rings with AF connection.

@Gary A. Here's the image I was referencing on Flickr: XT2A4430

I don't care for that swirly bokeh at all. Very distracting for portraits, IMO. If this is how the 80mm bokeh is then I will change my plan and start looking for a used 90mm.

That one is a little funky. However, kind of an unusual angle for a portrait. Maybe the closeness and angle created that look. It will be interesting to see some other images on the x-photographers site when they start uploading. I wouldn't use it for portrait work if it consistently renders that way. The few images I have seen on macro stuck are pretty darn spectacular. Am I gonna buy one? I don't know, I have been doing a lot less macro stuff these days. I think when the 8-16 comes out, that maybe high on my list.

I don't care for that swirly bokeh at all. Very distracting for portraits, IMO.
You ain't wrong!

IMO, if anything, including the OOF background/foreground, draws more attention than the intended subject, it is a distraction. Smooth bokeh serves a desirable function; to provide isolation of the subject, and being smooth, doesn't command attention.

Back in the 35mm days, lens manufacturers began producing macro lenses in the 100mm range and even longer to provide more working distance from the subject. Personally I think 50 or 60mm is ideal for APS-C format and 80 seems a little long in the smaller format despite its popularity for 35mm format. The 60 f2.4 is also as sharp as a new razor blade. Gary, you can have extension rings with AF connection.
Nope, I haven't any rings.

I have the MCEx11 and I have only used it on the 23mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back