82mm vs 77mm filters

Coleman121

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I've been looking into getting both 6 stop and 10 stop ND filters from Breakthrough (around $380ish US for both), and although I'm aware that 77mm is the most common filter thread (I currently have a 77mm CPL), I was thinking about whether or not I should start investing in 82mm filters instead. I don't currently have any lenses with 82mm threads, but I know that most standard zooms on full frames (e.g. tokina 24-70 f2.8) have this thread size; and so I don't want to keep investing in 77mm filters (even if I don't have any lenses with this filter thread at the present) if it means that by the time I want specific lenses with 82mm filter threads, I can't use it unless I use step down rings which will just cause vignetting anyways.

However, most wide angle lenses on FF use 77mm threads, so the other problem could be if I were to use step up rings on that along with a filter (or two stacked), it could cause vignetting anyways.

I'm pretty confused as to what to do. What are your thoughts on this?

I understand your thoughts and have a bunch of step up rings for any lens under the 77mm size. Here are my opinions on the negative aspect of 82mm. First they(filters) are big, get a couple of them and you are carrying some weight. They(filters) are rather expensive (it seems like the price jumps) While you are right a lot of wide angle lenses require them that is also because we've fallen into this super fast f-stop craze. Do you really need f2.8 for long exposures and do you really want to carry around a bunch of 2.8 lenses? Remember any step up ring/ larger filter you will not be able to use your lens hood so you will also need to get a lens hood that screws onto the 82mm.

So while I do have a set of 82mm filters and a couple of lenses that require them - those lenses get left at home unless I know I need them. All my other lenses have step up rings to 77mm, this seems like a more reasonable balance for the lenses I use.

Edit: Let me also say, lately I've really been parring down what lenses I carry to the point of having small lenses with those I just get the smaller filter size because it saves on weight - IOWs it's a no win with trying to find that one perfect set of filters. Lee and or square filters I have them not worth it too much hassle imho

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back