85 and 135 or 70-200

smartguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a sigma 24-70 2.8 and a 50 1.8 on a 30D. I want something on the long end but I can't decide between a 70-200 (canon f4? tamron 2.8?) or an 85 1.8 and 135 sf 2.8 combo. I like to do portraiture which all of these lenses can do nicely, but I also like versatility because I'm not devoted to a specific type of photography. I like to have speed (which makes me unsure of the f4).

To give an idea, in the past couple of months I've shot some photos in school for yearbook, a surprise party for my friend inside a church basement, and some outdoor shots when going to cut down a Christmas tree. Coming up I don't have anything planned specifically except a school fashion show fund-raiser which will require flash no matter what lens I use.

Quick Version:
85 1.8 and 135 2.8, tamron 70-200 2.8, or canon 70-200 f4
(for mixed useage, indoor included)

gracias

Have you looked into the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8? I have the EX DG HSM Macro version, and love it. It has a fast AF motor (HSM) which the Tamron lacks! I can't imagine not having USM/HSM on such an important lens! The Sigma is very sharp, and I can rely on it. I believe it's the same price as the Tamron is.

really?
despite having a sigma lens (which i'm happy with) i've been nervous to go back to them. there are so many stories of bad copies. i figure i got lucky and it wouldn't happen twice.

do you have any sample shots?

Sigma has quality control problems with some lenses, but this model doesn't have as many issues as other ones do. (apparently many 24-70 models get sent back)

Anyway, here are a few. Most of the racing season, I had a little bit blurry photos, but at the end of the season, I realized that had to do with my filter! Removing the filter, gave me sharp images. Well, here they are.

226250714_Q76YF-L.jpg

269660951_YkfzN-L.jpg

226252977_Wjsqi-L.jpg

Spend the money and get this Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.
This is one fantastic lens and you will bw amazed at how much you can do with it.

This is probably the sharpest zoom on the market.

I would if i could. Well, i can but I would be saving up for 2 years. I really can't justify spending more than $800-$900 on a lens (I'm still in high school)

If youre not going to shoot in dark places or youre going to use some externam ligning Canon 70-200 F4 is a considerable lense also. Its fast, Sharp and its L :p

But i agree that Sigmas 70-200 f2.8 is ok too! :) It might just be better for portraits as it gives you a lot smaller Dof!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back