85mm ZEISS Otus ‘Confirmed’ for Photokina

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The release of the ZEISS 55mm f/1.4 Otus was hailed with wide eyes and meaningful glances at checking account balances, but if you only just saved up enough to afford it, we’ve got some bad news for you: the next Otus lens is about to be released.

According to Photo Rumors, the long-rumored Otus 85mm f/1.4 is going to be announced for certain at Photokina in Germany, a rumor given further credence by the fact that Digicameinfo has obtained a leaked picture of the upcoming lens. As with the Otus 55mm, we expect this lens to be optically exceptional, if expensive (to use a technical term) as crap.

Of course, there’s always the chance that Sigma will rain on ZEISS’ parade and announce an 85mm ART lens of its own that will be a quarter of the price, feature autofocus, and be darn near as good, but we’ll cross that party pooper bridge when we get to it.
In addition to the 85mm Otus, which is said to be arriving for Nikon and Canon mount, PR expects ZEISS to announce a Distagon 35/1.4 ZM for Leica M systems.

85mm ZEISS Otus 'Confirmed' for Photokina, First Image Leaked

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't be excited unless Sigma or Nikon release a modern 135 f2 or f1.8 for Nikon. That's all I want from Photokina. Just one lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why 135? Is there a special significance to that focal length?

Why 135? Is there a special significance to that focal length?

I love the compression and look of Canon's for portraiture. I want one so bad. But Nikon's 135 f2 DC is old and over priced. And the Zeiss is outta my price range. Currently my 85 is great, but a bit too short for the compression I want on some shots. And the 80-200 at 135 and f2.8 isn't as narrow a DOF as I'd like.

Jake

I won't be excited unless Sigma or Nikon release a modern 135 f2 or f1.8 for Nikon. That's all I want from Photokina. Just one lens.

Rumor mill says Nikon is planning on unveiling a 20mm f/1.8 G-series Nikkor with nano-crystal multicoating....

Rumor mill says Nikon is planning on unveiling a 20mm f/1.8 G-series Nikkor with nano-crystal multicoating....

That sounds fun. I'd love a wide 1.8 prime, and I sure as hell can't afford the 24 1.4

Just wait for sigma to throw a monkey wrench into both the portraiture lenses and wide angle lenses. Nikon & Canon will be forced to step up to the plate and give what you are asking for.

Just wait for sigma to throw a monkey wrench into both the portraiture lenses and wide angle lenses. Nikon & Canon will be forced to step up to the plate and give what you are asking for.

I sure hope so.

I mean they have set a precedent with their art line. Expect anything, and everything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back