edit2_edited-1.jpg

edit1_edited-1.jpg

edit5.jpg

edit4.jpg

edit3.jpg

i know but the guy showed a lil dirty =/

wheels look good

Comments:

I wish there was a feature on cameras that would not allow them to be tilted off vertical or horizontal.

Why use the tilt? How does it help the viewer to look at your photo's?

If I never see another dock door, garbage compactor, grafitti covered wall, and/or blown out sky in the background of a car photo I will be a happy camper.

It's like all the car photo's are taken by the same guy using the same backgrounds over and over again.

I can't remember the last time I saw a new car photo idea.

Critique:

I like the pp.

#1 - Nice detail in the rotor, caliper, splash shield. Roll the car forward so the emblem in the center of the wheel is straight up and down. I'd crop right at the back edge of the tire.

#2 - busy background steals attention from the car (to many angles (the roof line)). To much negative space behind the car, blown out sky.

#3 - the car disappears because of the reflections in the car body and the whell is out of context as a result.
A CPL filter would help but is not a cure all. The photographer still needs to be aware of the issue. If the intent was to show the reflections, it's no longer a car photo but a reflection photo.
The background is overexposed. Since light advances, dark receedes the viewers eye is first drawn to the background, then the reflection, then the car wheel making it a tertiary image element.

#4 - sweet perspective. Lose (clone out) the trees, the building, and the guard rail in the background and then replace the blownout (again) sky.

#5 Distracting background with a wall growing out of the top of the car.

Tips:

The devil is in the details. In other words, not taking care of the details before you release the shutter, weakens your photo.

Use a Circular Polarizing filter (CPL) on the lens. It helps control reflections, helps saturate many colors, and can help with the sky if you are shooting in the correct range of angles relative to the Sun.

Use a Graduated Neutral Density (GND) for the sky, or fix (replace) the sky in Photoshop.

People look at me like I'm nuts when I'm making images of clouds. I have hundreds and hundreds of cloud images filed by season, time of day, general location of the Sun, so the shadows in the clouds match the scene I'm putting them into.

When I shoot a car I use anywhere from 4 to 12 speedlights, not counting 1 or 2 in the passenger compartment.

I do car shoots in the morning just before, during, and right after sun up, or in the evening just before, during, or right after sundown. Mid-day is for taking a nap or doing post processing of another shoot.

I never really like that model cause I think it broke the "masculinity" of the mustang line, which is my favorite car series, so I think my critique will be a little underrating.

#1 The wheel doesn't fit in. And it's not shining. To get around this you could have used HDR to give it a cutting edge.
#2 It's OK, but whats up with the sky? It looks like smectite, that thing that the doctors prescribe you to drink when you vomit.
#3 Good Foreground + Bad Background detail = not so good
#4 The composition is nice but I don't like the B&W processing.
#5 same as #2. Also you might need some filters.

To add to the lot, the car is a bit dirty.
BUT all the images have a very good composition, even though not everyone like the tilts. I think it is ok. It gives it an element of motion.
Read KmH's comment - that dude knows what he is saying. It's a little problematic ,though, owning 6 - 14 speedlights, cause I think it's more of a hobby for you. You can rent though, but they might ask for a big amount of cash pledge.

Cheers!

nice captures, but the background is distracting in all the photo's...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back