A bad picture turned into art?

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was attempting to take a pic of some fall foliage, but my settings were off. Bad picture like most of the others... So I decided to play around and go further abstract, until it reminded me of the work of @PixelRabbit.

What do you think of the photo?

PA230549.jpg

Last edited:
It may be pretty, enjoyable, interesting and even the result of intent, but so what.
IMO, art is an intent to see, to illuminate, to show.
If it is a technique applied to everything because it makes the image successful and viewed when it would otherwise be ignored, then its not art.

It may be pretty, enjoyable, interesting and even the result of intent, but so what.
If it is a technique applied to everything because it makes the image successful and viewed when it would otherwise be ignored, then its not art.

Thanks for your reply.

Art is subjective, so everybody is entitled to an opinion. I respect your opinion.

More of the intent was "do you like this photo?"

Last edited:
Looks like rain. Rain rolling down glass.

I think it looks almost like a water color painting? at least that's my Personal opinion.

Thanks for your reply.

Art is subjective, so everybody is entitled to an opinion. I respect your opinion.

More of the intent was "do you like this photo?"
No, and it is not art just an accident that has been made to look worse

I am not getting a really strong "art" vibe from this photo. I don't think this quite rises to the level of art. The concept of "a bad picture turned into art" does not do any favors for either pictures or art.

Abstract art is a kind of different animal. Instead of looking at an abstract with the normal tools of perception that we use all the time, we need to consider other qualities, such as balance, movement, color or tone, and even emotion to some degree.

In this example the dark patch (center near the bottom) is distracting, and the remainder doesn't seem to hold a lot of interest for me.

I like it. :thumbyo:

I'm not an "art" type but this is like Abstract or Modernism using the camera.

Don't think of it as a mistake, though you may have bumped the tripod of dropped the camera a bit. PixelRabbit loved taking photos in a moving car .. her first "mistake" was awesome and she continued to use movement to her advantage.

I can see the tree trunk and can see how the camera was moved for this image.

Last July 4th (and before) I did some experimentation with moving the camera from point A, around back to point A and included and didn't include zooming in and out. I came out with some interesting photos, such as this one
19238629320_570261597f_m.jpg
20150704_Fireworks-24[/url] by Steve Sklar, on Flickr[/IMG] 20150704_Fireworks-24 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

a few were more noticeable what I did such as this
20150704_Fireworks-03 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

I also did some camera rotation, zooming, rotating around a campfire for some other interesting photos ==> 20140712_Abstracts_Of_A_Campfire

It can certainly gets interesting and it's good experimentation.

I wonder if you didn't add a description and simply posted the image for C&C, what if any difference in opinions would have been. ((future experiment maybe))
A wise man (cough cough) named D-zyne-errrrrrr suggested I don't name my photos (it was my very TPF image post).

I'm also wondering if Art is similar to or exactly like communication; where it is the job of the sender to give their best effort to use the language (spoken, body language, written etc.) in order for the receiver to obtain the senders intended message. The receiver gets to apply meaning.
Or this.

Abstract art is a kind of different animal. Instead of looking at an abstract with the normal tools of perception that we use all the time, we need to consider other qualities, such as balance, movement, color or tone, and even emotion to some degree.

Yes, this ^^^ exactly, and it wouldn't hurt to analyze non-abstract images this way as well.

While I do like fall foliage shots, I'm just thinking this is a nice break from another fall foliage shot.

I would rotate the image 90 degrees, flip it and call it running horses (the white look like horses to me and that makes the green like a field - the flip is just so they run left to right). Crop the bright yellow/black pit part, too distracting.

There are a lot of photos out there done with the tilt the camera up or down while taking the shot. This one is interesting as it adds a shake. Of course, when I do something like this by accident it usually gets trashed. There may be an idea that comes up after the fact, but I would rather go with the general idea in mind when making the initial shot.

It seems you like the image so that is the most important, only you can decide if it is worthwhile to take this further.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back