What's new

A Beginner's Bug

Tiller

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,455
Reaction score
452
Location
Charleston, SC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, here's my first shot at trying to get actual macro shots. I always heard the DOF was small, but you don't really understand how small until you actually start to shoot! Anyways, I went out looking for bees, but they wouldn't stop flying around, so I gave up to go inside. Until I noticed this little guy hanging on to my lens. I dropped him off on the deck and he posed for me for about 10 minutes :D


CC welcome. I would love to know what to do better next time. I"ve got a flash on the way, so that may help.



IMG_4836 by tsmcdona, on Flickr




IMG_4816 by tsmcdona, on Flickr
 
A good shot, with nice lighting.
 
Actually nicely done! #2 is a sweet image.. although you should crop it to put more emphasis in that purty lil' bug!

No exif here or on Flickr. What aperture did you shoot it at?
 
Actually nicely done! #2 is a sweet image.. although you should crop it to put more emphasis in that purty lil' bug!

No exif here or on Flickr. What aperture did you shoot it at?

Thanks! I'm using an old 90mm manual lens so that's why it doesn't show. These were at f/2.5 with a 2x TC, which I believe makes it the equivalent of 180mm f/4.
 
Actually nicely done! #2 is a sweet image.. although you should crop it to put more emphasis in that purty lil' bug!

No exif here or on Flickr. What aperture did you shoot it at?

Thanks! I'm using an old 90mm manual lens so that's why it doesn't show. These were at f/2.5 with a 2x TC, which I believe makes it the equivalent of 180mm f/4.

Cool! If you can, close down that aperture to around F16, even F22... it will give you a bit more DOF! Very common apertures for Macro! I actually like the shallow DOF you got on this one... looks pretty cool!
 
Thanks! I will definitely give that a try next time.
 
Found that's it's a Megacopta cribraria which is usually found in India and China. It's only been in the U.S. since 2009.
 
I love Entomology! Those are pretty awesome pics! Here is a pygmy backswimmer I took a phone pic of during my collection under a microscope.. bad pic, but pretty cool bugs! Hope you can see it okay.. $2011-11-17_19-43-54_302.webp
 
Yeah that's cool! I'm just getting into it but it is pretty fun looking up bugs and getting shots of them.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom