A Bit Of Help

Amnesia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I've recently bought myself a Canon EOS 20D (recieved it on Saturday), and I've been playing around in Auto mode for the past week.

However, I am looking to expand a lot more and start to use the Av, Tv, M modes etc etc..

I'm interested in any Canon EOS 20D books you can recomend, any tips you may be able to give...

I read a lot about people talk about ISO, f (e.g 2.8, 5.6 etc) Shutter speeds, aperture...

It may be asking a lot, but can someone give me a brief run down of the terminology etc .

Thanks for any help in advance
Amnesia

Thanks a lot, I've read through them - I'll probably have to go over again.

Those definitions explain what they are, but not how it affects photos.
I was posting because I will have to wait until 6pm (when I finish work) before I can have a play with the camera.

How do these values change the effect of a picture?

Are there any useful exercises you can recomend to start with?

Amnesia said:
Thanks a lot, I've read through them - I'll probably have to go over again.

I was posting because I will have to wait until 6pm (when I finish work) before I can have a play with the camera.

How do these values change the effect of a picture?

Are there any useful exercises you can recomend to start with?
Your question is a good one, but to be brutally honest it takes a lot of answering.

I'd recommend printing some of the FAQ out and holding your camera whilst reading and thinking about it. You'll get a better set of answers with a more specific question. I can explain aperture/shutter/lens/ISO etc, but it's really all there in the FAQ, it takes a bit of patience to get it all.

I'm probably gonna do some example pictures later on for the FAQ and I know that there was some talk of maybe reviewing and condensing it a touch.

Rob

Many thanks Rob.
I'll print the FAQ off and have a good read over my lunch break, and hold it with my camera etc later.

I'm going to buy a Canon Eos 20D book (the Magic Lantern I think it is called... something like that anyway), which will teach my photography, and specifically my 20D.... Would this be a good step?

Amnesia said:
Many thanks Rob.
I'll print the FAQ off and have a good read over my lunch break, and hold it with my camera etc later.

I'm going to buy a Canon Eos 20D book (the Magic Lantern I think it is called... something like that anyway), which will teach my photography, and specifically my 20D.... Would this be a good step?

Books are always good. There's a book thread here and I've got quite a few. Anything with a title like "basics of photography" is probably a reasonable bet!

Rob

Amnesia said:

Shutter controls exposure and how time and motion are rendered in the photograph. Fast shutter freezes motion. Slow shutter allows blur if the subject or camera are moving.

Aperture controls exposure and depth of field (the area that is in acceptably sharp focus in a photograph). Wide aperture (small number) creates less DOF. Narrow aperture (high number) creates greater DOF. There are other aspects that affect DOF such as focus distance, focal length, and the format the lens was designed for.

Amnesia said:
I'm going to buy a Canon Eos 20D book
If the goal is to get familiar with the Tv, Av, M operations, the instruction manual that came with the 20D is invaluable! :thumbup:

But to know what they all mean, you will have to get a basics in photography book, as Rob mentioned.
Go thru the FAQ's for starters. Post your doubt/questions here.

Welcome to TPF! :D

Thanks for your replies and warm welcome.

I'm going to read the stickies, and get a book... I've found a pretty good eBook - however, its from the States and I would prefer to have a book in my hand I can take with me :)

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your 20D as much as I enjoy mine.

I agree with Danalec99, get a book about basic photography. I would not bother with a 20D specific book. The basics of photography have not changed in 100 years.

Auto exposure with AV, TV etc....have been around for a few decades at least.

Having the instant feed back of digital is a great learning tool...but you don't need a "digital" era book to help you learn.

The best thing you can do is to do some reading, then some experimenting...then ask questions here. Oh, and have fun. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back