A Bum's Setup

tenlientl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here is a few pictures I took out of 50+. I'm currently trying to learn how lighting works and I'm in need of help. I would appreciate a real C&C to help improve.

All shots are with D90, 50mm f/1.8

1- ISO 250 with 1/40 @ f/2. I am trying real hard to get that shadow effect with the others, but can't seem to reproduce. I noticed the higher the ISO, the more I can see the shadow. But I don't want to up the ISO too much because I dont want it too bright. I actually tried to go lower than 200, but the shadow disappeared.
p127642742.jpg

2- 500 ISO with 1/40 @ f/5. I like the composition here, but the shadow is too weak. I used flash because I wanted the background to be a bit brighter. I've tried putting paper infront of my built-in flash, angled it, etc. but I have no clue what I'm doing
p97028342.jpg

3- ISO 400 with 1/40 @ f/6.3. i like how bright the background(Wolverine) is here, but I lost the shadow. flash was also used. i forgot how strong/weak the flash ive used. next time ill write it down.
p353644009.jpg

4. ISO 320 with 1/40 @ f/3.2. i brought the 3 comics closer, which i like more(composition wise). i like how "darker" the whole image is, i like the shadow. i wish Wolverine was a bit brighter. is it impossible to do that?
p317267400.jpg

If you would like to see a photo of the setup, go http://imbty.zenfolio.com/p588393023/h79bac76#h14893331 . The red chair/50mm is where I was positioned. The lamp is a weak one that my sister uses to read o.o You see on the couch, there's a remote with a cookie box and some cardboard. I TRIED to get the flash to bounce, but like I said, i have no clue what im doing.

I looked at your setup pic, and I was taken aback by the 2.5 decades old stereo and turntable sitting next to the huge flat panel TV.. I'm guessing you like video games more than music..

Anyway, I like the clarity of the second picture.

the opposite actually. i love music, and havnt touched the ps3 nor the wii in months.

any other thoughts? any advice?

Since you don't mention an external flash, just the on-board, I'm going out on a limb and guess you have a directional lamp (or similar) as your main light source. I don't know the D90, but there should be a way you can control the ouput of the on-board flash. Knock it down to 1/128 or so. This will act only as a fill, leaving your main source to create the shadow you are after. Adjust as necessary. Keep your diffuser in place.

Secondly, consider a solid background and lighter in color that's not reflective (a bed sheet).

Be mindful of cutting off your subjects, unless that's where you're headed.

Does the D90 have a Commander mode for flash?

[EDIT] I just looked at the manual.... yes, you do. Have a look on page 188.

Last edited:
thanks.. so. no one else can help me out? c&c would be appreciated.

Use something (cardboard will work) in between your subject and your light source to create the shadow you want, then use your flash as explained above for fill flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back