A couple from the aquarium

I know what you mean about the shark picture. It's quite good, but you wonder if it's just missing that little something.

We already saw an outstanding example of changing things by darkening the background, so I thought I would go the opposite direction and see if I could lighten things just a bit. I'm guessing that you were shooting your D600, as it is remarkable at capturing detail, and when I pulled out the shadows in the background, I was amazed at the detail.

View attachment 131651
Lol, have to print that and post it on my fridge. :)

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I know what you mean about the shark picture. It's quite good, but you wonder if it's just missing that little something.

We already saw an outstanding example of changing things by darkening the background, so I thought I would go the opposite direction and see if I could lighten things just a bit. I'm guessing that you were shooting your D600, as it is remarkable at capturing detail, and when I pulled out the shadows in the background, I was amazed at the detail.

View attachment 131651
Lol, have to print that and post it on my fridge. :)

Whew! That's a relief. The thread went kinda radio-silent after my silly post and I feared I'd killed ANOTHER perfectly good thread. :D

We never see fish on here! Great set thanks for posting!!! :)

I like them all, especially the jelly. On the jelly I'd like to see the dark blue at the top extend to the bottom for greater contrast. Sorta like what JC did with the shark. The shots are all cool, but have that aquarium look, (at least to my eye). You shots of from the zoo tend to make the viewer wonder if they were taken in the wild or in captivity. The darkening of the background by JC makes it look more 'wild'.

I like them all, especially the jelly. On the jelly I'd like to see the dark blue at the top extend to the bottom for greater contrast. Sorta like what JC did with the shark. The shots are all cool, but have that aquarium look, (at least to my eye). You shots of from the zoo tend to make the viewer wonder if they were taken in the wild or in captivity. The darkening of the background by JC makes it look more 'wild'.
Thanks Gary, will give that a go. The aquarium thing is still a bit out of my wheelhouse so any suggestions are always most welcome. :)

Thanks Fit. Now that winter is here I'll probably be doing a lot more aquarium shooting. :)

I figured that was why. I never get to go to the zoo, but normally when I do it is in the middle of winter and freezing! And most of the exhibits are closed. :(

Thanks Fit. Now that winter is here I'll probably be doing a lot more aquarium shooting. :)

I figured that was why. I never get to go to the zoo, but normally when I do it is in the middle of winter and freezing! And most of the exhibits are closed. :(

Henry Doorly is actually pretty good even in the winter. You've got the cat complex so most of the big cats are still on display, the Desert Dome with a variety of critters there to shoot, the Lied Jungle and the Aquarium, plus they have this butterfly thing that I rarely if ever venture into but will probably put that on the list at some point.

Most reactions

Back