A couple more Yosemite shots

exercion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are a couple more shots from one of my favorite locations. As always, C&C welcome.
Eric
CathedralSpire2testcopy-s.jpg

CathedralSpireModded-s.jpg

Love the second one but they are both noisy. Im guessing these were not taken with a dslr?

No, they were not. Both were shot on film, and then negative scanned. I am not certain what to look for as far as noise goes in the image to figure out how to cure it.

Eric

Eric

the reflection in the second one is incredible

Thanks. it's a fun picture to take since the water is only there when the valley is flooded in the spring melt. I think I should upload a copy I did after doing noise removal.

Eric

The colors seem very saturated

also please, more info on the scanning, my guess is that scanning has something to with what jimmy is talking

Since the first comment, I did some research on noise in digital images and have gotten some software for it. As to more scan detail, I use a Canoscan FS 2710 negative scanner. Save the file as a TIFF, then edit. The second shot on the screen doesn't differ much from enlargement prints I made from the original negative as far as the color saturation. I confess the first one is an experiment, as I put the cloudy sky into the image since the original was pretty boring when it was empty.

Eric

Did you do something funky with the first shot? The contrast of some of the elements in the pic look different from the others.

On my screen (which is calibrated, but...) it also looks like the color balance might be a bit out of whack... someone else mentioned the saturation.

I'm not familiar with your particular scanner... I have a Nikon CoolScan one lying around here somewhere. My experience was you generally wanted to be sure to set exactly what kind of film you were scanning as it could have a big effect on your results. (brand, make, as well as ISO, etc.)

On the noise stuff... some scanners have built-in noise and scratch reduction. My Nikon one does an AMAZING job with this, but you have to figure out how to turn it on and sometimes the software can be cantankerous.

BTW, there is a REALLY cheap application out there called Vuescan. It's a little clunky on the interface but it is WITHOUT EQUAL when dealing with negative scanners. The author also supports the app extremely well and when you buy it, you get a license with free upgrades in perpetuity. I found it had an unbelievable impact on my ability to scan negatives successfully.

They are wonderful images, but they are a bit flat in parts (maybe haze or something). With a little noise reduction and some sharpening and contrast, they could be stellar.

In the first shot I was waiting for the clouds to move. I have been to Yosemite - back in 2006. Beautiful :)

Very fused with colour - almost too much in fact...

I have no idea what you guys mean by "noisy" by the way - could someone explain that please?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back