What's new

A Day at the Beach I

syamantak

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 22, 2011
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
Chennai
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's good and what's bad?

1.
$DSC_0032.webp

2.
$DSC_0137.webp

3.
$DSC_0142.webp

4.
$DSC_0179.webp
 
syamantak said:
just starting out, I've no idea. And I'm sensing I'm in for a real beating!

You don't need to be an expert to have an opinion :) what do YOU like/dislike, there's really no right or wrong answers.
 
Alright. Then I have a question. Is the rule of thirds a compulsion, because I remember some of dad's magazines had the best photos with the subject in the centre. Has it evolved, then?
 
and I took one with the subject off center:

$DSC_0208.webp

How is that, then?
 
It seems you know enough about photography but just want others to tell you what nice pics you post. It also seems to me you are using this forum as your own personal photo storage pit for every pic you are now taking. Why not post the ones you are having trouble with or the ones you are very proud of.
 
What do you think is good and bad?

just starting out, I've no idea. And I'm sensing I'm in for a real beating!

Beating around the bush here is more like it...Soooo, you have ZERO idea of what makes a good photo? Is that what you are trying to convey here? That you are absolutely clueless about how to create a photo? Are we talking about rocket science here or about photographing people and their activities? You might be just starting out, okay. But surely if you can manage to aim,fire, and download you can manage to grasp at least a handful of basic concepts. perhaps a book on photography would help get you started. I wager that your school, or local library, or regional library, have some books that could clue you in to some picture-taking basics and some very basic compositional concepts.
 
Technically and artistically, these photos appear very basic, as if little thought went into their composition and meaning. They aren't bad, they're just more like snapshots than anything else. As others have suggested, a little self-education in photography will help a lot.

Oh and, I would NOT want to eat corn that was cooked through a can of rubber adhesive! (that's actually a rather interesting image, btw - shoot more like it, but with heads :) )
 
Ease up, people, geez. You don't even have the excuse that this guy's arguing and you're already busting on him.

They're mostly pretty dull. Partly it's the subjects and compositions, just not very interesting -- we don't know these people or this dog, and they're not doing much interesting to us, and you haven't done anything to MAKE them interesting, you just shoved them in the center of a rectangle. If you look at them carefully they're graphically dull as well, not much bright colors, bright tones, dark shadows, that kind of thing.

The guy cooking the corn is kind of awesome, though. He's doing something interesting and a little mysterious to us. The fact that your dumped him more or less in the middle of the frame matters less, because he's doing something interesting, AND there's visual drama there with the bright flame, the bright corn, the dark shadows and charred corn husks and so on. The later one you posted with the silhouette and the sparks flying is another good idea. I don't think either one is great, but you've got more elements working for you in those than you do in the other photos.
 
Once again, I'll restate my central thesis: If one can manage to aim,fire, and download, one can manage to grasp at least a handful of basic concepts about making pictures.

I love how in amolitor's mind, phrases like these are considered "taking it easy" on a high school kid: "mostly pretty dull", "just not very interesting", "you haven't done anything", "you just shoved them in the center of a rectangle", "they're graphically dull", "your dumped him more or less in the middle"..

Yeah...right...let's take it easy on the kid, amolitor...cough,cough...wow...I can think of ONE POSTER who REALLY needs to get his own house in order before talking about how other people keep house...my Gawd...
 
... you are absolutely clueless about how to create a photo? ...

I didn't call him names, Derrel, and you did. Also, Bynx made some rather nasty personal insinuations as well. And that's it from me here.
 
My comments were to the kid in general about what he has posted up until now. Nothing singular that we could help him with. Just a bunch of stuff with no singular point of interest or problem. He could just as easily post a link to his flickr site and ask us what he is doing wrong. As for saying anything nasty I only gave some good advice in my last sentence. Now get personal again with me Amolitor and you will know nasty. Keep your comments to the OP and to their pics and stay out of the personal forum. I also notice your quote by Derrel has been taken completely out of context and you have utterly distorted a question he was asking.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom