And the newest Dance craze

Dance Like a Butterfly and Sting like a Bee

Dance-Like-a-Butterfly-Stin.jpg

Count Dracula STorm

Count-Dracula-Storm.jpg

What do you mean we have to go in now?

What-do-you-mean-we-have-to.jpg

thanks for looking--Lenny

I have two mutts who love to play that game. When it get really rough my wife panics. I have never been able to catch them just right since all my cameras are retro and I closed down the studio with the backdrops. Somehow it loses something with the entertainment center in the background... I guess I could photoshop something but yours is very nice however you did it

How ever I did it? I don't quite understand what you mean. I took these pictures out on the lake so I was able to blow out the background which is snow. I appreciat your looking and comments.--Lenny

I see you have never shot a retro camera... it take just about five minutes to set up a shot. Odds are by the time you focus a camera the animal has gone. Also I don't get out much any more so the background is always a piece of furniture.

I was a studio photographer for years people brought animals to me. You can't shoot them against a studio drop and get what you shot, even if I still had one hanging somewhere. Animals at play on a plain backdrop are rare. Thats what I meant. Mostly on a clean background you get spot looking cute at the camera.

The fact that they are your dogs and you can shoot a lot makes this kind of thing possible and also digital editing.

Now I get what you mean. Retro Camera? I have used 35 mm film for years if that is what your refering to but I suspect since your are a studio photographer it is not. These pictures are pretty much the way they came out of the camera. The snow looks hot because it was a very sunny day and it just made the snow one big glare. But since it was the dogs photo's that I wanted I didn't care. Your right though I may take 20 shots to get 5 usable one's. The main problem is to get them in the right lighting. If the sun is behind them they look very dark. They have black faces so even if I change the levels their faces don't look great. Thanks for checking back--Lenny

Well I am almost always a 'what you see is what you get' kinda guy personally. I use a lot of cameras I build these days. The old 35mm slrs, if you remember, were a pain to get focused on animals that move that fast. You really have to get them out in the perfect light, use a high quality zoom lens and shoot shoot shoot which is almost impossible for anyone but the owner to do. Dogs faces tends to go dark when they are in motion as well. Somehow they always manage to turn the wrong direction. But I always loved the owners expression when I got one right.

I have done a few pet photo's for other peoples dogs (of course this is after they have seen mine) and I agree it is hard. I found one method for small dogs is to cover the owner with a backdrop and then put the dogs into their hands which is under the drop. I find the dogs will calm down and I usually get a decent shot. Thanks for all the comments--lenny

Where was that idea when I was still working. I used to have the owners stand behind me and they were useless except to corral the poor things after the first stobe flash went off.

But the owners are so appreciative it sorta makes it worthwhile.

mysteryscribe said:
Where was that idea when I was still working. I used to have the owners stand behind me and they were useless except to corral the poor things after the first stobe flash went off.

But the owners are so appreciative it sorta makes it worthwhile.

Is there a reason you retired from photography? I had to retire from my regular job because of arthritis and photography has helped fill the time.--lenny

Most reactions

Back