A Deal????

Basics (if that's all you can afford) would be a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di (not terribly expensive - I own one and it's a quality fast lens) and a Canon 50mm f1.8 (canon's cheapest lens).

You'll get decent coverage with this although it can be a little on the long side. Maybe the Tamron 17-50 bight even be better.

The biggest thing about getting a DSLR is that it's night and day from using a compact. Takes time to learn how to get the best from it.

You'll get a lot less noise from the DSLR and a lot more control of aperture (depth of field). Learn about this if you haven't. Essential for good wedding images. Read understanding exposure by Bryan Petersen - a great read.

I'd get the Canon XT or D50 and the above lenses. You could at an absolute bare minimum do the wedding with the 50 f1.8 on its own!! But you'd be using your feet a lot as the "zoom" :)

You'd be wasting time getting a long lens slower than f4 for a wedding. might be ok for outside shots (if it's an outside wedding) but indoors it'll be all but useless. The flash would be unlikely to reachj the subjects from far away and your shutter speeds will be way too low for anything over about 1/50th sec at high ISOs (so using anything longer than a 50mm lens and you'll end up with camera shake).

Your images are pretty good for only using a P&S but learning to use a DSLR will take you a few months.

Happy to help but start small and buy the best equipment you can..... So

Nikon D50 or Canon XT are ok cameras to start with but keep the compact handy in case it stops working

Either a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 - Both fast lenses (for zooms) and will be capable of doing most of the work. Although not very wide I'd choose the 28-75 only because of the way I shoot.

Canon/Nikon 50mm f1.8.Very cheap lenses but are very sharp and decent performers in low light. Use your feet to zoom.

Buy a flash gun if you can. If low light it'll be a big help as the on camera flashes are crap!

Start low and build good gear. I still use the Tamron which is an excellent lens.

Basics (if that's all you can afford) would be a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di (not terribly expensive - I own one and it's a quality fast lens) and a Canon 50mm f1.8 (canon's cheapest lens).

You'll get decent coverage with this although it can be a little on the long side. Maybe the Tamron 17-50 bight even be better.

The biggest thing about getting a DSLR is that it's night and day from using a compact. Takes time to learn how to get the best from it.

You'll get a lot less noise from the DSLR and a lot more control of aperture (depth of field). Learn about this if you haven't. Essential for good wedding images. Read understanding exposure by Bryan Petersen - a great read.

I'd get the Canon XT or D50 and the above lenses. You could at an absolute bare minimum do the wedding with the 50 f1.8 on its own!! But you'd be using your feet a lot as the "zoom" :)

You'd be wasting time getting a long lens slower than f4 for a wedding. might be ok for outside shots (if it's an outside wedding) but indoors it'll be all but useless. The flash would be unlikely to reachj the subjects from far away and your shutter speeds will be way too low for anything over about 1/50th sec at high ISOs (so using anything longer than a 50mm lens and you'll end up with camera shake).

Your images are pretty good for only using a P&S but learning to use a DSLR will take you a few months.

Happy to help but start small and buy the best equipment you can..... So

Nikon D50 or Canon XT are ok cameras to start with but keep the compact handy in case it stops working

Either a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 - Both fast lenses (for zooms) and will be capable of doing most of the work. Although not very wide I'd choose the 28-75 only because of the way I shoot.

Canon/Nikon 50mm f1.8.Very cheap lenses but are very sharp and decent performers in low light. Use your feet to zoom.

Buy a flash gun if you can. If low light it'll be a big help as the on camera flashes are crap!

Start low and build good gear. I still use the Tamron which is an excellent lens.

All that sounds great. Because of the difference in body prices, I will more than likely be getting the D50.

Here is what I'd LIKE to get for my 700 dollars:

Nikon D50 with 18-55mm 2.8 or faster
Some sort of flash

Think it can be done???

Another Update:

sigma4less.com has the following:

Refurbished Canon EOS 350D for $429.95

Refurbished Tamron 28 - 70mm lens f2.8 for $289.99

-------

Whatcha think?

Another Update:

sigma4less.com has the following:

Refurbished Canon EOS 350D for $429.95

Refurbished Tamron 28 - 70mm lens f2.8 for $289.99

-------

Whatcha think?

Perfect :)

28mm is not very wide so the 17-50/18-50 range will be slightly better for groups but these are decent quality lenses good enough to complete a basic wedding with. I'd still look for a faster lens for use indoors - 50mm or 85mm f1.8.

the package above will work..... In the right hands :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I hear better things about the D50 then I do the 350D.

OMG The closer this purchase gets the more nervous I get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back