A family freaked when I pulled out my camera.

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nothing serious, but a funny situation. Today I was sitting at a stoplight in my car, and saw a hot air balloon just launching up. I had my XSi with 70-200 f/2.8L IS and 2x extender attached (hood on the 70-200 of course). I rolled down my window, and held it outside to take a shot. 2 kids in the backseat of a car next to me got frightened, and the mom & dad yelled "What the heck is that???" The Rebel series bodies only make the white glass look bigger. Not to mention, hood attached and 2x on there.

edit: whoops, wrong forum. Meant to post this in "Discussions". Moderators? :D

Maybe they think you had a missile launcher and ready to shoot that thing down.:lol::lol:

So where's the photo that resulted from all this??

Maybe they think you had a missile launcher and ready to shoot that thing down.:lol::lol:

LOL! :)

lol, Can't say I've done it from a car window, I've though about it a couple times but never had the subject to shoot...Never the less I've gotten the "holy hell!!!!" reaction a couple times with my EF body and Vivitar 400mm, and they are all black.

Yes, I have a 70 to 300mm which when fully extended with a 2 inch lens hood on the end, starts to look like a missile launcher. It is a good thing that I don't shoot around any nutty American rent-a-cops.

skieur

Oh, you should try it, then; it's really a worthwhile experience with the right gir...oh, wait...photography...well, yeah, I've gotten some funny looks doing that through a car window too.

:mrgreen:

lol I intend to...as soon as something worth wile pops up.

What's going to be a little funny about it is when I shoot my 400 handheld, often times I hold it like a rifle.

Last edited:
I wish I had a camera in the car the other day. A NATO E-3A (AWACS) kept making passes, it probably would have filled the frame with a lens somewhere between 135-200mm.

Last edited:
The lens hoos is what often impresses people i find. pop a lens hood on something and the reactions start coming out.

just be glad you weren't using the sigma monster lens (that 200-500mm f2.8!) Now that really is a rocket launcher (it even comes in green!)

Most reactions

Back