A few basic questions about the first gig offers.

adamforce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,
My name is Adam and although I have been shooting for several years, I only recently began to consider photography in the business sense.

I have a couple of basic questions involving offers on the first gigs.

I have decided not to shoot a few things:
- Weddings (Until I am confident enough and have more portrait experience
- Children (as they are hard for me to work with, following directions and the like)
- And pets (for the same reasons listed above)

I have recently had offers for a gig involving these exact things, and I am looking for advice on how to "word it" when I turn down a job. I had this illusion when I got into the business part of photography that I would never turn down a job, but I fear I am often having to do this because I either lack the skill to do the above things, or feel it would not be my best work.

For those of you who are successful with the art, what is the proper way to turn down a job? I have a woman wanting to do Christmas cards with her pets and I know with multiple animals I most likely won't get them all facing the camera at once.

Any suggestions and advice would be most appreciated! Thank you in advance!

"I am sorry, but I don't have the proper skills or equipment to give you images of your _____ that are good enough."

+1 on MLeek's comment. They would probably respect you more for telling them that, then taking the job, and messing it up.

How about the truth... you don't shoot those subjects and have a referral to someone who does.

How about the truth... you don't shoot those subjects and have a referral to someone who does.

+1 Don't just politely reject people, but also network with other local photographers so that if a job turns up for you and its not your thing you can point those people toward other photographers. You can also use this if someone wants to book you and you're fully booked for that specific time/date slot - if you can't fit the client into your time schedule don't let the work go to waste, pass it on.

Though be sure to keep an eye on referrals - no point sending everyone to the pro that never sends any work your way in return; though remember it might not be through any fault of their own (they might simply not get clients in need of referral to your specific services), but its good to prioritise - rewarding those that do get to refer to you with more of your own referrals to them as they come up.

Also remember that a good networking relationship with other professionals can help you out as well - say you have an injury or serious family crises or, for whatever unforeseen reason, you are unable to attend a major booked event - good networking should give you the contacts to be able to have someone else cover for you. You might lose out on the paycheck, but you at least don't leave your clients high and dry and that earns you good points when they talk about you.

I just tell them this "I'm sorry but I don't shoot _______" They don't have to know why. I certainly wouldn't admit that you don't have the skill or the equipment. Honestly the best way to get good at shooting weddings is to do plenty of research and then to shoot a few. I did three weddings for free, and a few for dirt cheap before I felt confident in shooting them for full price. I also don't shoot family or kid pictures anymore just because I don't like kids.

Remember to thank them for the offer - "Thank you for the offer, but I am sorry, I do not shoot ..._________."

The other thing to consider, is why not think about trying them for a lower fee to get the experience - you never know what will happen until you try it - having said that, there is also the old saying that it is a wise man who knows his limits. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Hi everyone,
My name is Adam and although I have been shooting for several years, I only recently began to consider photography in the business sense.

I have a couple of basic questions involving offers on the first gigs.

I have decided not to shoot a few things:
- Weddings (Until I am confident enough and have more portrait experience
- Children (as they are hard for me to work with, following directions and the like)
- And pets (for the same reasons listed above)

I have recently had offers for a gig involving these exact things, and I am looking for advice on how to "word it" when I turn down a job. I had this illusion when I got into the business part of photography that I would never turn down a job, but I fear I am often having to do this because I either lack the skill to do the above things, or feel it would not be my best work.

For those of you who are successful with the art, what is the proper way to turn down a job? I have a woman wanting to do Christmas cards with her pets and I know with multiple animals I most likely won't get them all facing the camera at once.

Any suggestions and advice would be most appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Tell them you suck and to hire someone else. lol.

Honestly it is probably best that you do not agree to these jobs if you do not have the confidence or the arsenal of lens needed. For wedding in particular you need some nice prime action and really good zoom lenses. A second shooter is also very handy. For wedding you have to cover lots of ground very quickly and it is impossible to be everywhere at once to get the best angles.

One other suggestion is that if you do accept a job is to tell them that you are still learning and would like to do the job and they could pay you what they think is fair. This would be a good way to get experience and if you really screw something up they just dont pay you. On the flipside, if they do like it then the referrals might start flowing in.

Last edited:
If you're working professionally, with your own company name and reputation you have to realise that offering discount services on areas of the service that you're not experienced in and could easily mess up is not a sound move in many cases. Yes you're "getting work" but in doing so your risking not only putting out a lower quality product into the market, but also risk messing everything up. When all is done and dusted if you failed at someones wedding that news will get around - and whilst its a wedding you failed at people will question if you can do any of your craft well - ergo you'd see bad publicity spreading and might see that in reduced sales and approaches for work in those areas that you are an expert.

Odd-Job do it alls are around, they do exist, but they are often aimed at the lower end of the market; ie the cheaper end where what they do might well hold up, but it won't be that brilliant and its not the kind of thing that you'd pay high amounts for; and if you could afford better you probably would.

Most reactions

Back