A few drag racing photos

ahuguley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dragracingpictures.net
urameatball inspired me to post some of my action shots I took yesterday. :) A big problem I have right now is finding just the right distance to stand away from the cars. Shot #2, for example, has a lot cropped out of it - which gives it grainy look. Maybe I need a camera with a better zoom? (currently have one with 3X optical)

huntsville1.jpg

huntsville2.jpg

huntsville3.jpg

I'm off to Santa Pod at the start of next month now and i'll be taking lots of drag racing pics... mostly VW based V8 eaters (11 seconds from a flat 4? ooooh yeah :D 8) )
I'll try and capture some wheelstands too...

Any tips for me :?:

Cool Stuff! From a technical standpoint, I don't think it's the best, but #3 is my favorite--check out the rear tire warping with the rotation!!! How friggin cool is that?? If you have a jumbo filesize version of that one, I'd do something really off-the-wall in terms of a crop to really focus on that rear tire; maybe a panorama with just the wheels and the ground, converted to b&w or very intense velvia-style color. Ooo yeah, the possibilities abound!

I appreciate the comments. :)

captain-spanky: This was in USA at the Huntsville Dragway. If you're using a digital camera, you might want to try using the "burst mode" to get a wheelstand shot. Also, if you're using some AUTO modes, pressing the shutter button half-way down prior to when the car gets in staging is recommended. You may already know these "tips"- and if so...got any pointers for me? :)

Shark: I do have a 2560 x 1920 res. shot of #3 so I might try your ideas. In fact, the way I crop most of my drag racing photos is getting a bit repetitive. Think I might try out some new methods with this latest batch of shots I have.

here's one of the last pics i got... not very good at all. Took it with my very basic digicam from the back of the stand. I'm taking my slr this time round and i'm trying to organise some access to the actual track so i can get close... so hopefully the next shots will be a lot better...
http://www.online.ie/photos/getimage.adp?a=23349&p=32669&t=photoFile

That's a good idea captain-spanky. Fortunately the tracks I go to are very lenient in terms of allowing spectators to get close to the track.

When you decide to take more, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Most reactions

Back