Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
May, 2011
Nikon D40, 55-200 Nikkor

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

Colors really pop on #1
#2 lacks contrast- when you are shooting at such a distance it is hard to avoid that hazy effect But I like the composition a lot
#3 is a good shot I would tweak the framing a bit so the tree isn't encroaching the falls

Colors really pop on #1
#2 lacks contrast- when you are shooting at such a distance it is hard to avoid that hazy effect But I like the composition a lot
#3 is a good shot I would tweak the framing a bit so the tree isn't encroaching the falls

Thank you for the comments.

Trying to educate myself on filters at the moment. Would number two have benefited from a particular filter? Polarized?

Your images are exposed well enough that they will respond to some post processing. Yes a cpol would help depending on where you can position the sun in relation to our scene. Here are some tweaks to your second image, that I love btw. Careful not to get rid of all the haze as it helps to communicate distance.
This tweak has:
- a black level adjustment
- a green and blue level increase
- the overall image read as cool to me (but I am on a laptop now), so I warmed the overall colour temperature
- mild sharpening applied
yosemite-1.jpg

Wow, it's incredible what a little post production will do....

Thank you, btw! Now I guess it's time to invest in a PP program.

It also helps to shoot in the morning or late afternoon. Looks like these were taken in the afternoon. I know the haze gets pretty bad at times (I live 90 miles from the park). I like the middle one, composition-wise. The first one doesn't do much for me. The tree tops on the last one are a bit distracting and I know there were better locations to shoot.

I like #2 a lot, but isn't there a waterfall just to the right of where your photo stops? It might have been cool to include that in the shot. Just a thought.

I like #2 a lot, but isn't there a waterfall just to the right of where your photo stops? It might have been cool to include that in the shot. Just a thought.

Yes, there is. #2 is a crop from a larger photo. I'm toying around with my iPhoto's editing capabilities and have re-cropped to include the waterfall. Once I aimlessly edit enough to make it seem like something remotely acceptable to post on here I'll add it!

Thanks.

An attempt at the above mentioned edit. Still having trouble getting the colors to be more vibrant.

DSC_0338.jpg

Beautiful scenery! NO doubt! Yosemite is definitely on my "places to visit" list!

I agree with all that has been posted above. The contrast is too slight and the haze is too strong. Autumn in Wales has similar outcomes. The time the shot is taken has a massive effect and also post production (photoshop all the way!). if you get the chance to do these shots again, I suggest early morning, after heavy rain the night before. The rain clears all the dust out of the air and leaves it stuck to the ground with moisture. Hope this helps! :) Good luck.

A circular polarizer will go a long way to reducing that haze.
Nice shots. Loves me some Yosemite pictures.

Most reactions

Back