Four
100_1082.jpg

Five
3.jpg

Six
d1-1.jpg

Seven
100_0323.jpg

I forgot to add that on Two and Seven...I really wasn't sure on the settings and was really just playing at that time...

no. 4 reminds me of star wars lol. is that lake meade?

Didn't they make that movie with van dam at hoover ? Sweet looking place.

1 - Not the most interesting compositon, out of focus.
2 - Snapshot. Out of focus.
3 - Could have been good but you exposed for the sky which left the main subject underexposed. This should have been metered off the buildings or bracketed and merged for an HDR.
4 - Focus looks good, composition is ok, looks slightly overexposed(colors washing out).
5 - Looks slightly soft. Not a huge fan of the pose.
6 - This one is cute, I don't like the processing, focus is a soft. Get closer or crop tighter.
7 - Good composition, there is some motion blur here.

Critique per req:

1. A good attempt at a classic infant's portrait. the exposure is good, but the focus and pose leave something to be desired. You really need the child looking toward the camera; not necessarily right down the lens, but toward you at least. As well, most of the body seems soft; You really need to stop down a bit more to gain a greater DoF. I'd also boost the shutter speed to at least 1/125 to avoid any motion blur.

2. "Just playing around". 'nuf said.

3. Nice image. I'd suggest cropping out some of the foreground, it really adds nothing to the image. As well, I think this could have been improved by using a graduated ND filter to enhance the sky, and either exposing to produce a total silhouette of the buildings, or using enough G-ND to expose them correctly.

4. Seems more of a 'holiday snap' to me than anything. A CPOL would have helped, as would some minor levels/curves adjustments.

5. Lots of potential here but: (1) The pose seems very awkward and the smile forced. In other words, I get the impression she's ther under duress. (2) You've got some blown or nearly blown highlights on her right arm, and (3) Always iron your background! Once again you need to get your shutter speed up to at least 1/125 to avoid motion blur.

6. Wow. Don't like this. At. All. Selective colouration is a technique to be applied sparingly, as is gausian blur. I think there was probably a really cute portrait there, but this isn't it. On the plus side, and it's a big plus, once again, good exposure.

7. "Just playing around". 'nuf said.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I would definitely turn the date stamp off. Or if you insist on having the date on the photo, allow enough room in the composition to crop it out later if you find a photo you are happy to print or display.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back