A few more from the day

Thanks for the on-site info. Barb wire fences always help, particularly as mating season approaches.

I have had to hide behind large spruce trees (false charge) . Fortunately, the big bulls will warn you if they think you are getting too close, but not always, thus I always make sure I have a tree to retreat to as once you disappear, they seem to forget about you, or at least that has been my experience.

WesternGuy

Yup.. usually at the very least they'll make some noise and start pawing at the ground, or lower their heads and shake them about a bit to show you what you'll end up getting if you don't back off. I don't think I worried this big guy a bit though, he just stood there and stared at me.

The "usual" response I get is that they "bugle" at me to let me know I am close enough which may be a hundred yards or so - some time more. I don't get close enough to have them paw at the ground a shake their heads. I don't want to be close enough in the bush to anything that big with a rack like that shaking its head at me :biggrin-93: .

Which reminds me, it is getting pretty close to that time of year when the "fun and games" start - calls for a trip to the mountains with the big lens. :thumbyo:

WesternGuy

Thanks for the on-site info. Barb wire fences always help, particularly as mating season approaches.

I have had to hide behind large spruce trees (false charge) . Fortunately, the big bulls will warn you if they think you are getting too close, but not always, thus I always make sure I have a tree to retreat to as once you disappear, they seem to forget about you, or at least that has been my experience.

WesternGuy

Yup.. usually at the very least they'll make some noise and start pawing at the ground, or lower their heads and shake them about a bit to show you what you'll end up getting if you don't back off. I don't think I worried this big guy a bit though, he just stood there and stared at me.

The "usual" response I get is that they "bugle" at me to let me know I am close enough which may be a hundred yards or so - some time more. I don't get close enough to have them paw at the ground a shake their heads. I don't want to be close enough in the bush to anything that big with a rack like that shaking its head at me :biggrin-93: .

Which reminds me, it is getting pretty close to that time of year when the "fun and games" start - calls for a trip to the mountains with the big lens. :thumbyo:

WesternGuy
The bugle thing is funny as hell. Hard to imagine anything that big making a noise like that.

I've been close enough a couple of times now to get the pawing or head shake, usually though I've got a fence there. Last time I was in the front seat of a truck. I won't normally get anywhere near that close this time of year unless I know they can't run me over or worse through. Lol

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back