A few shots for C&C

urahara

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these shots a few weeks back. I would love some critique to help me improve.
I would need mostly composition wise, but any technical and post-processing aspect is welcomed.

Deep love by jckars, on Flickr

Caring for you by jckars, on Flickr

Together we can by jckars, on Flickr

#1 - watch your backgrounds. That would be a very nice picture if the object on the back wall were moved right in the frame so as to be separate from the person's head.

#2 - is also quite nice, the oars are a good element which really pulls this together creating a great little pyramidal form. Crop the top off, to remove that distracting material and possibly take a little off each side to retain the proportions of the frame, and you've really got something, I thing.

#3 - strikes me as a definitely lesser picture. The toning doesn't improve it. Too much distracting material on the top edge, and the oars and so forth are not contributing. Possibly quite a tight crop on the two kids might give you something, but it's not ever going to be as strong as #2.

#1 - watch your backgrounds. That would be a very nice picture if the object on the back wall were moved right in the frame so as to be separate from the person's head.

You're right.. I'll make an attempt to remove it in photoshop and if I'll see a decent result I'll replace the photo.

#2 - is also quite nice, the oars are a good element which really pulls this together creating a great little pyramidal form. Crop the top off, to remove that distracting material and possibly take a little off each side to retain the proportions of the frame, and you've really got something, I thing.
I will give a small crop a try to see the results

#3 - strikes me as a definitely lesser picture. The toning doesn't improve it. Too much distracting material on the top edge, and the oars and so forth are not contributing. Possibly quite a tight crop on the two kids might give you something, but it's not ever going to be as strong as #2.

It is lesser, I agree but a tight crop on this one will remove the oars which are part of the story. I tried to give a mode with the toning, I'll experiment more with it.
The backround is blured, darker and on the far side of the frame, is it really that distracting?

Thanks for you time to comment

The background is still distracting. The small white areas within it draw the eye and take away from the kids, I think.

Others may well see the picture quite differently, though.

Hmm..
Maybe I can save the photo by darkening the areas of the backround then. It worths the try..

I tried a color version of the #3 also darkening the backround (the dark areas now frame the water and the brothers). I hope this was an improvement to the photo

Check it out.

Together We Can by jckars, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think it is! The vignette is pretty heavy handed, but it does give, to my eye, a better picture. The red hats pep it up a bunch as well.

Thnx!
I shall

What camera did you use?

the Nikon D7000

I agree mostly with amolitor as in the distracting backround kind of damages an otherwise brilliant photo but the wisdome to spot that will come in time! Infact im sure now its been pointed out to you, you will most definatley bee on the lookout for distracting backrounds from now on.

And again in no2 I like it a lot compositionaly as already pointed out but having said that Id also like to see a little more active space to the right hand side, not much just about an inch.

But I actually like no3 but I think it might work better as a natural B&W and wit a crop from the top to get rid of the junk at the top and a little from the right to get rid of the end of the oar as you can see half of it and its a little distracting.

Top job.

thnx masquerad101! I already am :) and I don't find it easy on non static subjects... only slight changes of the background at my level as a photographer :lol:. Noted on #2 and regarding #3 I'll make the test and check what I'll get.

Most reactions

Back