A Horse on the Beach (C&C)

Ray Hines

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was between jobs, cabby, and parked up practising by BiF shots when this turned up. I've never shot a horse before and I didn't have the chance to get down onto the sand or get closer, so this was taken from the prom. I used a Pentax K-r with a TAMRON AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD MACRO set on Manual Mode. The sky and sea were pretty grey, but not so dull as to make it pointless taking the camera out.

The settings were f/8, 1/250, ISO 200, Auto WB, Centre Weight Metering and 133mm Focal Length

In the pp I wanted to get in closer and warm the photo up so it had a crop, levels adjustment and some form of Topaz Labs filter adjustment. But I can't remember which.

Here's the original JPEG, it was originally taken in RAW & JPEG, and the finished shot. Your thoughts, critique and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ray

IMGP9862_1000.jpg

(Shrunk to 1000px for the forum)

Sea Horse? (Explored # 392)
by Ray. Hines, on Flickr

Ray,

I'm not really a fan of the processing on this one.

The compression or curves adjustment is taken a bit too far. IMHO the water is made too busy and looks better in the original.

Also the crop just doesn't fit, you only have a bit of the flat rock in frame at the bottom. it should either be more or none at all.

It's not a bad shot but I'd try again on the PP.

The crop could be a bit wider and the colors are unrealistic.

If you set your user preferences to allow editing, someone here could show you an alternate version for comparison.

closer to the original jpeg and original crop. Nice photo to start with needs little attention imo..

Thanks guys, I know what you mean about the pp. The original seemed too wide to me, but then that's me, I have a tendency to over crop. You're also right about the colour, the water looks wrong. But I thought the original looked too cold, what to do? :confused: This shot has been quite popular on Flickr, but I find a few comments here better than 100+ Favs on there, keep them coming guys and gals, rip it apart if you want, I really don't mind. You learn nothing from "Nice Picture".

I've set "Allow Edit" now Designer, I thought it already was, Doh! Thanks mate.

Hi, Ray!

Yes, the original was too wide, but mainly behind your subjects. I cropped behind them and did what I could to try to achieve a good white balance, but I don't know if it is any better than your original.

IMGP9862_1000 - Version 2.jpg

In this version, the subjects appear to have more space in front of them, in which to "walk into".

Thanks for that Designer, I like the crop. I notice you have kept the horse on the centre line, although you have cropped it to the right hand vertical of Rule of Thirds. You may have noticed I cropped to the lower intersection of RoT. I'm not averse to breaking the rules though :) I might have more luck with the WB using the original RAW file, I'll give it a try.

The "rule of thirds" is not the only rule of composition, nor is it even the most important. In fact, I am seldom conscious of any of the composition "shortcuts" when I make adjustments.

If the subjects being on or close to the centerline bothers you more than say, balance for instance, then re-crop, but you should know why you are cropping and the result should be better, otherwise why do it?

It seems to bother others more than me from comments I've had on other forums about other photos. If I have something like the horse in this shot I try to use the RoT but I'm not bound by it. I appreciate the suggestions.

I think this is the best I can get it from the original RAW file. This has been cropped, very slight warming WB and minor clarity adjustment in LR. In PS I did slight adjustments to levels and a High Pass Filter sharpening, again minor. It's better than the original and the 1st processed shot, but not by much. Maybe I need to see the good points in a shot rather than always looking to improve(?) something. Or maybe I need to lower my standards ;) or throw more away.

Thanks for the help all, especially Designer, it's really appreciated.

Ray

IMGP9862_2.jpg

I think this is the best I can get it from the original RAW file. This has been cropped, very slight warming WB and minor clarity adjustment in LR. In PS I did slight adjustments to levels and a High Pass Filter sharpening, again minor. It's better than the original and the 1st processed shot, but not by much. Maybe I need to see the good points in a shot rather than always looking to improve(?) something. Or maybe I need to lower my standards ;) or throw more away.

Thanks for the help all, especially Designer, it's really appreciated.

Ray

View attachment 97203

This is much much better!

This may just be my personal taste, but I'd still dial back the sharpening and clarity a bit.

Best

-N

Thanks Nate, I appreciate that. However, if I dialled back the sharpening and clarity there wouldn't be any :D The levels are so low I wonder why I did them :rolleyes:

Ray

Most reactions

Back