A lil birdie sitting outside my window.

Truthfully I have no idea, I guess maybe a pigeon. It was sitting there, I so happen to have my camera in hand so i figured why not

I'm pretty sure it's a Mourning Dove, although they usually have a dark smudge on their cheek. It could be a juvenile.

I love the soft tones in the shot and the DOF it great. It's just a shame about the composition. It'd be much nicer if you cropped it down to the rule of thirds so that he's on the left facing to the right into the frame instead of in the middle.

Last edited:
Do mourning doves range to the UAE? Technically, the pigeon is a dove as well - the eurasian rock dove if memory serves?

I'm pretty sure it's a Mourning Dove, although they usually have a dark smudge on their cheek. It could be a juvenile.

I love the soft tones in the shot and the DOF it great. It's just a shame about the composition. It'd be much nicer if you cropped it down to the rule of thirds so that he's on the left facing to the right into the frame instead of in the middle.

Hi Forkie, is this how you wanted to see it?

Canon 50mm f1.8 by joey_bagz, on Flickr

Do mourning doves range to the UAE? Technically, the pigeon is a dove as well - the eurasian rock dove if memory serves?

I had a quick Google after you said that and yes, they can be found as far east as Pakistan. It's definitley not a Rock Dove. The Rock dove is the same bird as the Feral Pigeon which is essentially same pigeons you find in the cities - they are grey with mottled wings and irredescent necks (the underserved "Rat with wings"!).

Hi Forkie, is this how you wanted to see it?

Canon 50mm f1.8 by joey_bagz, on Flickr

That's exactly what I meant. It looks great!

Thanks Forkie, any other tips or advice you can share?

Unfortunately, the tinted window just killed the shot.

Ok, just for my future development, how is this shot killed?

Lets see, the tint ruined the contrast, the exposure now looks like it's under exposed, the birds colors are wrong, color saturation, etc. your composition is fine. Taken with the window down would have created a really solid picture. 'nough said.

Most reactions

Back