A little guidance ...

sweetnothings123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few months ago I posted about finding a great deal on a 5D Mkii only to get my heart broken when we almost lost everything. It WAS too good to be true and I'm so happy we didn't go further because we would have lost alot of hard earned money.

That being said, I'm still set on purchasing a camera for WEDDING, PORTRAITS, MAERNITIY and NEWBORN. My heart is still with the 5D Mkii ... there's no changing that. But now what I'm trying to decided is what to buy for lenses. I've followed all your previous advice and really started researching on what I would want for lenses. I want fast, I know that! Especially because I would be shooting in low-light for both wedding and newborn (at times) especially.

Here's the list of must have lenses that I researched to be my best bet for the areas I'm interested in:

50mm f/1.2L
70-200mm IS 2.8 L

24-70mm f/2.8L
24-105mm f/4L

Now here's my hesitation. I really don't need both the 24-70 and the 24-105 ... but the latter lens comes in a kit that I could buy that would save on money. So ... what lense would you rather have in your gear bag??? Would I end up spending more money in the long run because I would buy the 24-70 later down the road anyways ???

These are all really expensive glass!!! But I want good glass and I would rather not cheap out if that means that my photos would pay because of it. For example, I know that the 50mm comes in a f/1.4, which would dramatically cut down on the cost ... how big is the difference in qulality between the 1.4 and the 1.2L ???

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance :)

I bought the Tamron 28-70mm 2.8, it saves you almost a grand, and the quality is up there. Quite happy with it. Find comparative reviews and you will see the strengths and shortcomings of both, and then you can decide if the strengths of the Canon lens are worth $1000, or if the weakness of the Tamron is worth saving $1000.

Researching the canon 24-27 vs. the Tamron 28-70 ... there are a ton of mixed reviews. Now I'm totally confused. I don't want to push out all this money for a Canon only to have to return it a number of times (i.e., quality control). There is also the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG that some professionals have said is worth looking into. But again I do want to get teh best lens out there and I've heard that Canon makes great quality lenses.

This being said, maybe I would be better off just going for the 24-105 lens... any thoughts? Anybody else happy with a Tamron or Sigma verson of a comparible lens to any of the following lenses (Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200mm IS 2.8 L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 24-105mm f/4L)???

I just did a portrait shoot (workshop) and used my Tamron 28-70mm. Aside from my images sucking because of aweful poses, and it being my first time, I am willing to show you a couple 100% crops to show you how crisp and how clear the details are. Shot on a 5DmkII. (Later tonight, when I go home from work.)

gsgary - I have only shot one wedding but I borrowed a camera for that one (a Nikon) and it was outside, so I wasn't having to deal with low-light situations. So no.. I don't know what I want in terms of lenses... that's why Im doing the research and collecting as much tips from you all as I can to make the right decision.

My goal is to shoot weddings, and other areas (as mentioned above). I know that I will be needing a lot of practice and will start trying to get in to second shoot with other photographers to get the practice as well. Because I'm in a financial position to buy good glass, I want to do that... rather then buy cheaper glass and end up paying for the better glass down the road anyways (so spending more in the long run). But if there is a lens that I would be happy with, and not want to turn to the Canon L glass... than I'm all ears :)

I just want to know, from photographers that shoot weddings, what I would need for gear!

Last edited:
gsgary - would you choose the an 85mmF1.2L over the 50mm 1.2L??

I would just love to have the 85F1.2 not sure if it's better, I have only shot one wedding for my neice and never want to shot another it's just not my scene, I could make good money from it but i find it boring and not very challenging

I am not looking for C&C on my "First Studio Portrait Shoot Ever". :meh:

Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 shot at f/11 (47mm) ISO 200 1/125th
Processed full image:
4377392436_62b8c313fd_o.jpg

Unedited 100% crop:

4376666605_6e732636ef_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4376666605_6e732636ef_o.jpg
Edit:
f/11, ISO200, 1/125th, (75mm)
IMG_0667-Edit.jpg

100% crop:

crop.jpg

Wow ... Bitter Jeweler... that is a pretty sharp lens! Thank you for sharing. I am definetly going to do some more research on your good 'ol Tamron and see if this is the lens for me:)

Most reactions

Back