A little PP help please!

InTheShoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a couple of shots of a friend's child today, which are nothing special, but decent snapshots - I will be photographing him in a couple of days though. Once I loaded the photos on my laptop I realised that his fair facial hair is very prominent, and more so than I would have noticed otherwise!!
I would like to know how to fix this PP? What would be the best way? Or is this something I should tend to prior to/during shooting next time?
3674367405_590812a1d4_b.jpg

3674370627_02e262ea60_b.jpg

You may want to look into getting some off-camera lighting. With the on-camera (popup or hot shoe) flash firing directly at your subject it's also lighting up the peach fuzz in a way you don't want it to. With lighting coming from a different angle you may be able to control that or eliminate it completely.

Thanks so much, this is a little problem I had not yet stumbled upon, and I imagine it wont be the last time!! Now I have to research off camera lighting options - Any advice from anyone on decent-but-not-too-expensive options?! I just don't want to have to spend too much just yet, not until I understand more!

I hate to say it, but lighting is a very personal choice that you may want to research for yourself. There is SO MUCH out there and it really depends on your budget, what you plan to shoot, where you plan to shoot, how often you will shoot, how big of an area you need to light, will you leave it up or take it down, will you need to take it with you . . . you get the idea.

Since you are going to do this in a couple of days, play around with some cheap lights from your hardware store or even lamps you may have that you can pose. There isn't anything that says that you have to use photography lighting. I'm sure you might find some interesting stuff on youtube.

Good luck. That kiddo is a cutey!

If you get a flash, get one that both tilts and swivels, period.

Shave him :p

Uhm...I would try an off camera light, or if at all possible dont use ANY artificial light...if shooting outside, an overcast day is EXCELENT for portraits...if shooting inside, (not completely sure about this) You should get the flash as high as possible (I beleive this is to make the light as natural looking as possible, because the sun is directly above us, ya know...)
Bouncing the flash off the ceiling would probaly be the easiest way to get the light to come from above. (It also just looks better)
If you shoot nikon, the Sb-600 is what you should get (You can bounce it off the ceiling when shooting in portrait mode, something you cant do with the sb-400)
Im not so sure about Canon Flashes....

Most reactions

Back