Rapala46

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rapala46.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all

Recently, my cousin announced to me that she was getting married. Then, she asked me if i would like to do the photographs for her wedding. I was flattered and i said "sure, why not?!"

The only thing is, now i am having second thoughts. I am a little nervous because this is a once in a lifetime thing, and i would feel terrible if i ever ruined anything. So here is my question....am i qualified? I have been interested in photography for a few years now, but i am in no way a pro. I am only 17 years old, and i really don't know that much about lighting, etc. I will probably have my camera (canon eos t2 35mm), and then also my buddy's Rebel XT. I really want to do this, but like i said i don't want to ruin it. can someone please give me some advice.

PS: here is a sample of some of my work:

http://rapala46.blogspot.com/

I think you should let her know that you are nervous and that you are not a professional photographer. Show her some of your stuff and tell her that you will try, but that you can't promise anything. You might also want to tell her that you won't get your feelings hurt if she uses somebody else. In the mean time - try to go to a friends wedding or something and shoot some stuff. You have to start somewhere... I wouldn't charge her anything but development fees though.

IMO - b

The simple answer is that you aren't qualified. Bethany is right that you have to start somewhere, but I wouldn't recommend that it be as the main photographer. Perhaps offer to take some candids of the day, or shoot at the reception when the main photographer has left. There is nothing worse than a disappointed bride.....actually there is one thing worse...a disappointed bride that is related to you ;)

This can be a tricky situation. As you said, this is a once in a life time sort of thing. You would need a fair bit of equipment. A good accessory flash (and a back up)...plus you will need to know how to use it in different situations. You might need a fast lens (sometimes flash is not allowed). Two camera, like you mentioned...etc.

If I were in your shoes, and I have been...I would politely decline to be the main photographer but offer to shoot other things at the wedding. Stuff like her getting ready, candids, people at the reception etc.

Then she will only need to hire a pro for the ceremony and (or just even) the formals. The price for a pro photographer can be a little shocking at first...but after it's all said and done, the photos are some of the most important things. They may regret it, if they don't hire a pro.

Rapala46 said:
Recently, my cousin announced to me that she was getting married. Then, she asked me if i would like to do the photographs for her wedding.

So here is my question....am i qualified? I have been interested in photography for a few years now, but i am in no way a pro. I am only 17 years old...

I don't know your cousin, but I'm thinking that she's aware you are not a pro, and are 17 years old. She may really like your photography, and prefer your new vision to the stale wedding photography she has seen. She may not have any money to hire a pro. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. :) As long as you think she has an accurate idea of what you can do, I say go for it. Don't try to learn new skills at her wedding. Practice before or go with what you know.

Most reactions

Back