A new f/1 entering market

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok.. technically f/1.1 but who cares.

For those that love fast glass, there is a new one coming to market.. and it isn't priced out of this world. Voigtlander/Cosina continues to amaze me with the high quality glass they can bring to market at a fraction the cost of competitors. New to market is a 50mm f/1.1 nokton and the sample photos look nice. Voigtlander lenses still share space with the highly regarded Leica branded lenses in my camera bag.. including 12mm heliar, 21mm color-skopar, 35mm nokton, and 28mm ultron.

Voigtlaender - Die offizielle Homepage - 50mm / F1,1 Nokton
Voigtlander 50/1.1 Nokton

This should be interesting for the 4/3rds photographers... 50mm (effective 100mm) with f/1 max aperture.

You've got to wonder what the point of that is. Even if it is a good performer wide open, who could possibly use a depth of field that is probably less than a millimeter at closer focus distances?

My question would be... what would it take to get that in a Nikon mount?...]

Impossible, unless you want to use it only for closeup work. Its designed for the Leica M mount. The flange to sensor distance on all DSLRs is greater than that of the M mount preventing infinity focus even the the adapter was infinitely thin. Only the micro4/3 mount (none of these cameras are actually SLRs) has a flange to sensor distance less than that of the M mount allowing space for an adapter.

You've got to wonder what the point of that is. Even if it is a good performer wide open, who could possibly use a depth of field that is probably less than a millimeter at closer focus distances?

You've never heard of the quite popular Leica Noctilux? Yes.. a very difficult lens to use but it delivers quite nicely and the challenge is part of the fun.

Close focus on the lens is 1 meter. at f/1.1 that is somewhere around 20-30 mm of DOF. Plenty of extra millimeters for fudge factor I say! ;)

I believe people buy stuff is not because of what they need. It is like buying a Hummer to take kids to school.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back