"a penny for your thoughts"

We still use a flash bracket and shoot in portrait orientation when appropriate.
My wife actually prefers shooting portrait orientation instead of cropping.

We still use a flash bracket and shoot in portrait orientation when appropriate.
My wife actually prefers shooting portrait orientation instead of cropping.

Yea, and I'll bet that she zooms to the correct composition, too, right?

What fun is that?

Nothing to do in post except drink wine and talk about the MOTB and that really weird uncle.

Yea, and I'll bet that she zooms to the correct composition, too, right?

What fun is that?

Nothing to do in post except drink wine and talk about the MOTB and that really weird uncle.

Yes well, when you have a ton of images to go through you want to spend as little time on them as possible. Not as much fun as crop zooming every image, but much more efficient. For us anyway. Your work flow milage may vary. The advantage (to me anyway) of shooting portrait style shots in portrait orientation is all I need is a quick 8x10 crop and whatever wb/color adjustments are needed.

thanks guys. i think i am in the right place.

the first image is an 80% crop. 98mm 1/50s f/2.8 iso800 manual mode hand held.

what do you think of the portrait crop? i hope tall = portrait. i have also lightened the image a little.

was shooting from the street through a window and the hands weren't visible.

Last edited:
Warhorse just wants to make sure you are t calling him old.

For or the record Warhorse, you are not elderly.

How old is "elderly"?

I think he means us.

no offense, warhorse. i don't know your age. but i am SURE that you not old or elderly.

elderly - definition of elderly by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.1. Being past middle age and approaching old age; rather old. See Usage Note at old.

2. Of, relating to, or characteristic of older persons or life in later years.

if middle age is 40, then i am elderly too. i am 52 and i have children aged 28 and 27. you can can call me old/elderly any time you want.

How old is "elderly"?

Actually, I was just curious as to what age he was calling "elderly".

I took no offense, as I am 59 years old. :)

Well, I am going to go against the grain and say I like the landscape orientation better than your crop.

The thing that bugs me most is that big silver thing competing with his face. And it does not help that it is OOF.

The big silver thing appears even larger when you crop because there is less information in the image, and it sort of takes over. The landscape orientation provides more context, information, and the big silver thing gives up some of its visual pull to other elements.

I actually like this shot, as much as I dislike the big silver thing. It has a quiet seriousness and the color palette plays well with the subject matter, giving a sense of monotony in this "world" where one escapes through their own thoughts.

Well, I am going to go against the grain and say I like the landscape orientation better than your crop.

The thing that bugs me most is that big silver thing competing with his face. And it does not help that it is OOF.

The big silver thing appears even larger when you crop because there is less information in the image, and it sort of takes over. The landscape orientation provides more context, information, and the big silver thing gives up some of its visual pull to other elements.

I actually like this shot, as much as I dislike the big silver thing. It has a quiet seriousness and the color palette plays well with the subject matter, giving a sense of monotony in this "world" where one escapes through their own thoughts.

I do agree but for some reason my eyes went to the nicely detailed in focus radio on the upper left.
The out of focus doohickie with the anti-martian headgear does compete too. (I assume a big meat grinder)
but sooner or later you focus on the guy in the middle LOL

Last edited:
for my taste the photo is cropped too tight with that bit of unnecessary space on the left. i would like to see the counter and hands in front of him.
He's not looking like he is in his thoughts, he looks like he was posing for you.

Anyway, that's jmho

I would have liked to see what he was doing as well.

thank you. you have spelled out most of my thoughts. for me this was the only point of view..through the window.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back