A photo assigment

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In a college photography class, an assignment was to mimic any photograph of any photographer whose work you admired - and put a modern twist on it. Simple enough, but there was a lot of agonizing over it from everyone, as I recall - so many choices.

This was my effort - a copy of a Josef Sudek portrait. How I love this guy's work!

With my long-suffering hubby as model, I got my gear together and off we went to the park. In the darkroom, I realized all those blacks made for some intense dodge & burn, with the bright sunny day creating deep shadows and Brad was in a black cape. :lol: Not the best choice of images, oh well! The "modern twist" is obvious. This is Ilford Delta 100 film, likely developed in D-76 since I tend to keep a few sacks of it around.

Thanks for looking!

Something about the look on his face I find rather amusing! lol I don't know exactly what it is, the cap and the head turned that way maybe makes it somewhat, I don't know, whimsical? more than the inspiration photo.

For having to do a lot of dodging and burning it turned out well, I wouldn't have known you had to do a lot of it.

Something about the look on his face I find rather amusing! lol I don't know exactly what it is, the cap and the head turned that way maybe makes it somewhat, I don't know, whimsical? more than the inspiration photo.

For having to do a lot of dodging and burning it turned out well, I wouldn't have known you had to do a lot of it.

Thanks Sharon! "the look" is one of suffering, as in, "I'm really standing here in a black velvet cape for this shot, aren't I?" :lol: But, he loves Sudek too, and appreciated the goal of the setup, so it was ok.

I worked especially hard in the darkroom to get some tonal differences in that cape, especially on the left side in the frame.

I think the Hubster's head almost looks like it was PS'd. :)

That's an interesting observation; do you think Sudek's head comes across the same way? He hunched around his tripod, as well (of course, his camera is heavier than the 4x5). :icon_razz:

Thanks Sharon! "the look" is one of suffering, as in, "I'm really standing here in a black velvet cape for this shot, aren't I?" :lol: But, he loves Sudek too, and appreciated the goal of the setup, so it was ok.

I worked especially hard in the darkroom to get some tonal differences in that cape, especially on the left side in the frame.

That's an interesting observation; do you think Sudek's head comes across the same way? He hunched around his tripod, as well (of course, his camera is heavier than the 4x5). :icon_razz:

It does look similar and my goodness does he look miserable carrying it, and maybe worse that he has to stop for that photo 'could you hurry up please, this shizznick is heavy as hell'.

He looks like my brother. I had to look twice or three times. Thought my brother might be living a double life.

Are you sure this isn't a shot from 'The Hunchback of Notre Dam'?

It does look similar and my goodness does he look miserable carrying it, and maybe worse that he has to stop for that photo 'could you hurry up please, this shizznick is heavy as hell'.
Josef Sudek was a professional photographer who did the majority of his work after losing an arm. It's not obvious in this image, or in other portraits.

Most reactions

Back