A question of rights

JackJamison

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My sweetheart and her ex retained a photographer to shoot the rehearsal dinner (the same one who did the wedding) for their son. She has offered copies of these photos for sale at $10 for a 4x6. My sweetheart was miffed that they were so expensive since she would like many of them and has already paid $500. My guess is that the contract she signed without reading allowed the photographer to retain rights to the work product. None of the guests, including me, signed releases does the photographer have the right to sell copies of these photos?

Yes, the photographer has a right to sell copies of the photos, because selling prints is considered as an editorial use, not a commercial use.

Only commercial use of a photograph requires the written permission of any people in the photos.

Additionally, nome of the guests at the rehearsal could have expected to have a 'reasonable expectation of privacy'.

$10 for a 4x6 is cheap.

*closes book with a thud*

My sweetheart and her ex retained a photographer to shoot the rehearsal dinner (the same one who did the wedding) for their son. She has offered copies of these photos for sale at $10 for a 4x6. My sweetheart was miffed that they were so expensive since she would like many of them and has already paid $500. My guess is that the contract she signed without reading allowed the photographer to retain rights to the work product. None of the guests, including me, signed releases does the photographer have the right to sell copies of these photos?

Releases have nothing to do with it. Photographers for all time have shot events and sold prints. Next time have your sweetheart negotiate for a disc of the images and don't hire a photographer that won't give you what you want.

Most reactions

Back