A question on limited number prints

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hope this is the right thread for this question, it seemed to fit it best.

Im not an expert on this area, and these questions probably seem self explanatory, but I thought I would make sure.

I want to offer a couple of my prints on ebay and make them limited prints, something like 100 or 250 or so. So what I was thinking is adding a thin border to the bottom of each print and put the name of the piece, the number of the print out of how many there will be, and then on the other side, my name, all typed. Then on the back of hte print, sign it and hand number it, however if they matte it which they probably will, the signature and hand numbering will be covered, so another idea is to sign and hand number it on the border and have the name of the piece typed.

So my first question is having the border on the bottom of the print make it look tacky? The over all demensions will still be 8X10 with the border.

My 2nd question which might be self explanatory is....if I make a print a limited edition of say 250 for 8X10's, does that mean I can no longer print these after the 250, but be numberless? Or if I make a print smaller or larger than an 8X10, is that allowed? but unnumbered. Or would the numbering apply to any size? what imthinking of doing is making the limited edition out of 250, and only sell 100 of them on ebay or something, that will gvie me another 150 to sell later on if my prints go for more money. I hope this make sense, hehe.

And my 3rd question is ....... I have some nice pictures of wildlife, that I put on istockphoto.com, am I able to offer limited edition prints for these? Im just wondering there might be an issue with this because someone could pay to use my image off of the site and print thier own 8X10, so theres no way I can limit the # of prints for this by people that use it on istock.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Well what I do is make Sets. So say I make the first set of prints, and I make 5 I will number the piece set 1, 1/5. 2/5, 3/5 and so on. Now you could also indicate how many sets there are but then you will be confined to that.
Usually if you have a set or limited number the prints are all the same. If you want to make larger and smaller ones I would change the set number so say set 1 is 8x10 set 2 is 11x14 and so on.

A border is fine but I would make it equal around the entire print, you can leave a little extra on the bottom. as far as typing I have never seen that done. If it were me Id rather have it hand written.
Also I would not put anything on the back, for reasons you stated

3rd question. Yes they could print your pic but printing is part of what makes you an artist, Im sure they will not print it the same way or on the same paper equiptment that you do, also they will not have signed numbered prints so there "verson" is not your original work making it less valuable. I wouldnt worry about that one.

TheProf said:
Well what I do is make Sets. So say I make the first set of prints, and I make 5 I will number the piece set 1, 1/5. 2/5, 3/5 and so on. Now you could also indicate how many sets there are but then you will be confined to that.
Usually if you have a set or limited number the prints are all the same. If you want to make larger and smaller ones I would change the set number so say set 1 is 8x10 set 2 is 11x14 and so on.

A border is fine but I would make it equal around the entire print, you can leave a little extra on the bottom. as far as typing I have never seen that done. If it were me Id rather have it hand written.
Also I would not put anything on the back, for reasons you stated

3rd question. Yes they could print your pic but printing is part of what makes you an artist, Im sure they will not print it the same way or on the same paper equiptment that you do, also they will not have signed numbered prints so there "verson" is not your original work making it less valuable. I wouldnt worry about that one.

Thanks for the reply prof. :0)

I just happend to check my other email address, and went to the betterphoto newsletters I get and one happend to talk about limited edition prints, I was thinking this is convenient, hehe.

What it said is to have a set for each size, say 50 8X10's, 50 10X14's, etc. So that works for me, I didnt want to limit myself for down the road.

For the border, the idea of having it around the entire image, a bit more on the bottom does make sense. My handwritting is terrible, so I like the idea of having the typed name of the print on the bottom left corner with a drop shadow. Then I think Ill autograph the bottom right corner with my name and number it to the left of that. As for the color, im not really sure. I dont think going with white on every print is a good idea, Ill just try to go with a color that suits the over all picture.

I was thinking of bevel/embossing the border to give it the illusion of being raised, I was just wondering if this would look cheap or tacky on a print?

As for ebay, I may be lucky to get $10 a print, people on there are pretty cheap and if your unknown, Ill probalby be lucky to get any page views at all.

As for packaging, it makes sense to put the print in a tube. Im assuming people wont have a problem recieving it that way. The print will be curled due to the tube but thats easily fixed when matted and framed. This is probably another one of those common sense questions, but I assume when you roll the print, you have the print surface in the center, not on the outside, so the print doesnt rub against the tube. Also if the print surface is on the outside, couldnt the printed surface crack a bit? Im probably way over thinking that part.

Hmm, and just thinking if I offer the print as a matted print on ebay, it would increase the starting bid and further reduce the chances that I would get a single bid, but I could offer the service of matting the print after the auction for an additional fee. *Thinks out loud*. :0)

Here's the idea I was thinking of.

original.jpg

Then on the bottom right hand number and autograph it.

I went with green cuz of nature, im also wondering if red would be better for Canada. Im also thinking of adding a white box or lighter shade of green/red on the bottom right for where I will sign it so itll stand out more, maybe have it gradiently change to a lighter area. :0)

Just some thoughts.

I would recommend not using a frame in the image at all. It's usually not looked upon as being very professional. I have most everything on my wall in black frames with white mattes. That green would just not work. I could cut a custom matte to cover it, but people usually like to use something pre-cut.

Printing in series is a good way to ask more for your prints, but from what I've seen, it usually doesn't come into play until your work is already considered collectable. And eBay is hell. Again, it's usually prints of collectable photographers that go for any kind of money to be worth the bother. You have to be producing something that really stands out or have a known name.

Once local collectors start to know who you are, limiting new images to a series can be a way to increase their interest. For the average Joe, they don't care; they just want a nice looking print. Unless your name is Ansel Adams, they probably aren't thinking those numbers add anything to the worth.

I'm getting some recognition for my work, and a known collector in the area recently bought one of my prints, so I've started to give some more serious thought to this. I probably won't be doing it for a little white yet, though.

Don't want to be a downer about it, but I'd hate for you to put a lot of work into this and be disappointed. I'm not saying not to do it, just not to have any expectations around it. It's the expectations that usually bite us. If you think it's still worth the effort just because you'd like to give it a shot and it looks like fun, then I say go for it! ;) This is only based on my experience and observations. It may go completely different for you.

Most reactions

Back