A risky engagement shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am completely beside myself on the comments put forth by user jcolman. You offer limited insight as to how to improve the shots but resort solely to suggesting the posting photographer doesn't have the physical energy to apply a flash or monetary means to obtain one.

Photography is communication and there is no right or wrong way to communicate your own thoughts, feelings and emotions. I pity you and your narrow scope of the mediums ability to allow self expression.

Nice you too! Glad you've settled both for a constructive way. AFAIC, I see no trolling here... Carry on! ;)

I am completely beside myself on the comments put forth by user jcolman. You offer limited insight as to how to improve the shots but resort solely to suggesting the posting photographer doesn't have the physical energy to apply a flash or monetary means to obtain one.

Photography is communication and there is no right or wrong way to communicate your own thoughts, feelings and emotions. I pity you and your narrow scope of the mediums ability to allow self expression.

You and I agree on this:
Photography is communication and there is no right or wrong way to communicate your own thoughts, feelings and emotions.

the OP wrote this:

What do you like and dislike about them? They were going for a more of a "night on the town" kind of feel. I think I did a pretty good job with that.

I told the OP that I disagreed and why I disagreed. I added my "own thoughts and feelings".

End of story.

I lied...it's not the end of the story.

First, to the OP...you pushed yourself beyond your comfort zone when shooting this series and for that I congratulate you. That's how we grow as photographers. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on my initial post however I'm sick of seeing people post pictures that are below the standards of most professional photographers only to be told that "wow! these are really good....etc."

These shots are very good if the photographer is simply shooting them as an amateur. However, if the photographer is a professional, that is one who accepts money in exchange for a quality product, then my original post has merit.

Now, if the OP had posted, "I'm outside my element here and I shot these on my own dime, how can I improve them?" then my answer would have been a lot different.

A pro should have the tools, skill and energy to do a job the right way, the first time. These photos, in my mind, were lacking in three areas, color, sharpness and quality of light. These are all things that every pro needs to deliver in a photograph every time.

I'm off my soapbox now.

I lied...it's not the end of the story.

First, to the OP...you pushed yourself beyond your comfort zone when shooting this series and for that I congratulate you. That's how we grow as photographers. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on my initial post however I'm sick of seeing people post pictures that are below the standards of most professional photographers only to be told that "wow! these are really good....etc."

These shots are very good if the photographer is simply shooting them as an amateur. However, if the photographer is a professional, that is one who accepts money in exchange for a quality product, then my original post has merit.

Now, if the OP had posted, "I'm outside my element here and I shot these on my own dime, how can I improve them?" then my answer would have been a lot different.

A pro should have the tools, skill and energy to do a job the right way, the first time. These photos, in my mind, were lacking in three areas, color, sharpness and quality of light. These are all things that every pro needs to deliver in a photograph every time.

I'm off my soapbox now.

he's good at what he does. I consider myself an okay photographer (not awesome or anything, but i get the job done) and i had to shoot some award winners at an AFROTC award ceremony. I felt like i botched them. My boss said they were fine, so i still get paid and the people will get their photos and probably be fine with it. Kind of beside the point. anyway, what I'm trying to say, is that you cant just expect someone to know exactly how to do something on their first try, and we dont have time always (which was my situation) to get set up perfectly and test out every setting on location to make sure they're exactly how you want them. Its a lot easier for us to decide exactly what we would have done when taking these photos while looking at them on the forum, but doing it in real life isnt as easy. I think they came out good , and a little tweaking will make them great shots.

he's good at what he does. I consider myself an okay photographer (not awesome or anything, but i get the job done) and i had to shoot some award winners at an AFROTC award ceremony. I felt like i botched them. My boss said they were fine, so i still get paid and the people will get their photos and probably be fine with it. Kind of beside the point. anyway, what I'm trying to say, is that you cant just expect someone to know exactly how to do something on their first try, and we dont have time always (which was my situation) to get set up perfectly and test out every setting on location to make sure they're exactly how you want them. Its a lot easier for us to decide exactly what we would have done when taking these photos while looking at them on the forum, but doing it in real life isnt as easy. I think they came out good , and a little tweaking will make them great shots.

Yes, you should be able to get it right the first time.

This is what separates the pros from the rest of the photography world. You have a plan, you execute the plan. If things change, you go to plan B.

If you want to experiment, you do so on your time and your money, not your clients dime.

Having said that, not every shot a pro takes is going to be good, but the ones that he or she gives the clients or posts on an internet forum as representing the best of their work, should be up to par.

I'd also be interested in seeing how "a little bit of tweaking" is going to correct poor lighting and photos that aren't sharp as they could be.

Hey Jcolman, since you have decide to make it your mission to make this a very uncomfortable place to share photos, I am going to pull these photos. You have overdominated your opinion and its to a point that I don't see this thread doing anything more. I don't expect chearleading, but I am not looking to have you post 8 times defending your opinion with a lot of agression.

You are kinda an jerk.

Tony cant attest to this, I am doing just fine in the real world and this is a perfect example why I left TPF a while back.

I'm out.

Don't let one ass ruin it for you. I had a similar problem with a downright rude poster who offered no constructive criticism but felt obliged to attack my photos at every corner.

Here we are 5 months later, I still post, I still shoot a few paid shots, and my clients are still happy when I do. Oh and I think he got bored and left.

jcolman, I'm sure your photography is impeccable. You do need, however, to work on your delivery of constructive criticism. Hard.

Hey Jcolman, since you have decide to make it your mission to make this a very uncomfortable place to share photos, I am going to pull these photos. You have overdominated your opinion and its to a point that I don't see this thread doing anything more. I don't expect chearleading, but I am not looking to have you post 8 times defending your opinion with a lot of agression.

You are kinda an jerk.

Tony cant attest to this, I am doing just fine in the real world and this is a perfect example why I left TPF a while back.

I'm out.

Sorry dude but I'm just telling it like it is. You're a pro. You should produce pictures like a pro.

I hope you leave with a renewed sense of giving your clients your very best work. They deserve nothing less. You admitted that you were outside your comfort zone. Perhaps, if nothing else, this thread will convince you to work on your lighting skills a bit more.

jcolman, I'm sure your photography is impeccable. You do need, however, to work on your delivery of constructive criticism. Hard.
I'm probably a lot easier on the guy than a pissed off client would be. He's a big boy. He should be able to learn from this and move on.

I gave him my honest opinion. I would expect every one of you to do the same with my work.

Personally I feel like jcolman needs some back up here. The dude posted his pictures, felt he needed C&C and got it. So what he said maybe the guy is too lazy to pull out a slave or a flash or w/e. So what? Everyone knows a high ISO shot isn't going to compare to a well lit shot, and everyone knows that the chances of getting a good shot low light without a tripod is asking for trouble. I don't necessarily come here for friends, I come here to know what the industry thinks of my stuff.

I'm probably a lot easier on the guy than a pissed off client would be. He's a big boy. He should be able to learn from this and move on.

I gave him my honest opinion. I would expect every one of you to do the same with my work.

Exactly; if I'm trying something iffy in any line of work, I'm not going to charge the client for letting me practice. In photography, that would mean no sitting fee and no guarantees; they can buy prints if they like how it turns out, otherwise they're out nothing but their time. Charging someone for substandard work is unethical.

(That wouldn't apply if they pressured me into the work, only if it's something that I'm doing because I want to learn it. Push me and you pay double.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back