A Scot salutes American Genius

Tim Tucker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There it is, up for sale, the end of an era...

After 30 years of motorcycling and only one cracked rib (high sided a ZX7R) my last motorcycle is up for sale. This is an advertising shot so I had to keep it realistic, though the temptation for a little more "artistic" interpretation was highly tempting.

For those in the know this is a 2002 Buell XB9R Firebolt, basically a tuned Harley 1000cc V-twin lump shoe-horned into a chassis that has the geometry close to a 250cc GP bike and flat bars. True American genius.

This is by far the most usable and best handling street bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a few fast ones. (Lost my licence in '87 for outpacing a 145mph police car on a "slabbie" GSXR1100 down a three lane motorway. Aye, us old farts used to get about a bit... ;)).

As I've said it's for an ad, but I've tried to get some impression of the brute squat power in the bike, and the pearlescent paint. It (the bike) reminds me of the untamed energy of a horse collected on the bit.

But in a world seduced and ruled by performance numbers it was always relegated to second place on paper and Eric Buell never sold enough of them so the company just doesn't exist anymore.

Pity, because it is true American engineering genius.

_DSC1929.jpg

_DSC1964.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, well first thing I normally do when a scottsman offers to salute me is avert my eyes and then ask to make sure he's not wearing a kilt. Some things just can't be unseen...

Lol-

Pity, because it is true American engineering genius.
Too bad about Buell. I was very favorably impressed watching a local HD mechanic head home on the interstate. (motorway) That one was a single cylinder, and had power and speed to spare. So smooth with that belt drive.

Most reactions

Back