A shutter speed question

uzat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

Quick question that hopefully someone will be able to answer and point a noob like me in the right direction.

Was out taking some photos with my camera on a mostly blue sky 22C/71F day with varying results.

On the photos with a fast shutter speed, 1/1000 and greater, there is a fuzzy white edge along the top of the picture. Below 1/1000, there is no problem. I tried various ISO settings which helped to a degree but didn't entirely resolve the problem. Anyone know what the cause might be? If it helps, I can post up some pictures. I took a few of the same scene to illustrate the point but with different settings. They're all in RAW format at the moment, so once I convert them down to an acceptable file size, I'll post them up.

Also, If I turned the camera onto its side to do a portrait orientation photo, the white edge also rotated 90deg.

I've no idea what the problem is, hopefully it is user error (me) rather than a fault with the camera. I tried a variety of lenses, new and old, and this edge appeared on all photos over the shutter speed I mentioned earlier. If I turned down the shutter speed to sub 1/1000, there was no problem.

For shooting in conditions like today then I know I don't need such a fast shutter speed, but if I go to any sports event, I'd hope to be able to shoot at a fast speed and not have this issue to worry about.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

U

Please post an example. With the EXIF intact, please.

So here's an example, along with data from the RAW itself. Hopefully, everything you need is preserved in the jpg. Thanks for replying.

Shooting Mode: Aperture-Priority
Tv (Shutter Speed): 1/8000
Av (Aperture Value): 2.8
Exposure Compensation: 0
ISO Speed: 200
Focal Length: 50mm
White Balance Mode: Auto

Sorry if this is unnecessary, thought better to include than not.

Attachments

• cairn.jpg
    cairn.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 152
Have never seen that effect, but that's an awfully fast shutter speed and a fairly open lens outdoors on a sunny day.

Not sure why you're not seeing this with somewhat slower shutter speeds, but have to wonder what's going on with the shutter. If you still see it when you turn the camera to a vertical position but along one side that makes me wonder if something's going on with the camera along the bottom of the shutter. (If it was film I'd be thinking light leak.)

It is there on slower shutter speeds, only not as pronounced or as strong an effect, but below 1/1000 or 1/800 it can't be seen or just isn't happening maybe?

I've attached 2 photos below which illustrate this gradation in visibility. The settings for the photo are identical other than the shutter speed. It's still visible on the slower (!) one at 1/1600 and is waaay visible on the other at 1/5000.

I know that on a day like today that these settings are a little unrealistic, especially when shooting something that hasn't moved in 100 years. I've been trying to familarize myself with the camera but thing is, if I go to a sports event on a good day, I want to know that I'm not going to get unexpected results...

If it is light leak, is there a fix for that? Is it an expensive fix, or a visit back to the retailer?

Tv (Shutter Speed): 1/1600 & 1/5000
Av (Aperture Value): 4.0
ISO Speed: 100
Focal Length: 105.0mm

codger_1.jpg
codger_2.jpg

Last edited:
And a different subject but in portrait...

Tv (Shutter Speed): 1/3200
Av (Aperture Value): 4.0
ISO Speed: 200
Focal Length: 50.0mm

tower.jpg

Your camera has a problem, and definitely needs service! I'm not sure if that is a shutter malfunction, or if it's a sensor/electronics problem...but that **is** a problem, for sure. Since it seems to be related to shutter speed level, my guess is it's a shutter problem. Bummer.

I was afraid someone would say this. Rats! Still, the body is still under retailer warranty so I guess it's going back to them. Thanks for the response.

Wow thats weird,I never seen anything like that before.

Last edited:
Yep. Camera needs to be repaired.
If the shutter wasn't fully opening the streak would be darker than the rest of the exposure, not brighter than the rest of the exposure.

The top of an image is at the bottom of your image sensor, because the lens inverts the image.
It is on the left of the vertical framed photo you posted because you rotated the camera clockwise to make the photo. If you had rotated the camera counter-clockwise the light streak would be on the right side of vertical framed shots.

I know this thread is keeping the board awake at nights due to its thrilling content, so I feel it only fair to let you all know the courier is coming to pick the camera up on Monday to ship it back to Canon to restore it to its former abilities - all covered by the retailer warranty.</sarcasm>

Seriously, thanks to everyone who answered. Your comments and opinions were gratefully received. You're a friendly bunch so hope you don't mind if I stay awhile. When I get the body back all fixed up, I'll post some more images for critique and comments on improvement. Thanks again.

I think it's a sticky second shutter curtain. Your camera would need service

Most reactions

Back