A tale of cranks, yanks, and colored stockings!

LWW

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This weekend in the birthplace of professional base ball a recreation of the original game played by the original rules.

There were a few cranks (boo-birds of today) and the first game shown involved some Yanks from Massachusetts known as the Mudville Nine.

The Mudville Nine generally plays by 1858 amateur rules, whilst all other clubs are experienced in 1860 professional rules.

MudvillPregame001.jpg

During the pre game meeting the Mudville captain plotted strategy with his club.

HilltopperManager001.jpg

HilltopperPregame001.jpg

While the Champion City Hilltoppers manager exhorted his men to give their all.

Ump001.jpg

The umpire did properly survey the field and explain rules to both team captains.

Bats001.jpg

And equipment was laid out for the strikers.

LWW

Although the men from Mudville did field brilliantly as experienced ballists are expected to do:

MudvilleField001.jpg

MudvilleField002.jpg

MudvilleField003.jpg

MudvilleField004.jpg

MudvilleField005.jpg

LWW

And they did pitch strikes consistently:

MudvillePitch001.jpg

MudvillePitch002.jpg

MudvillePitch003.jpg

Mudvillepitch004.jpg

MudvillePitch005.jpg

MudvillePitch006.jpg

MudvillePitch007.jpg

MudvillePitch008.jpg

MudvillePitch009.jpg

LWW

Their strikers did swing and miss furiously at the masterful huler of the Hilltoppers:

MudvilleMiss001.jpg

MudvilleMiss002.jpg

LWW

And even though they were obviously the best financed and most photogenic team invited to the tournament:

MudvillePregame002.jpg

MudvillePhotogenic001.jpg

LWW

They were constantly losing hands to the strong defense the Hilltoppers used to back up their hurler’s few mistakes:

HilltopperField001.jpg

HilltopperField002.jpg

LWW

In the end the Mudville Nine were no match for the mighty men from Champion City who struck the ball often, high and far:

HilltopperHit001.jpg

HilltopperHit002.jpg

and the Hilltoppers were victorious in regulation by a score of 15 aces to the Mudville men’s single ace.

LWW

During game 2 the Champion City Hilltoppers held off a valiant effort by the Wyandotte Ghost Riders who proved themselves to be worthy ballists:

Gm2-001.jpg

Following the Hilltoppers win by a score of 11 aces to 10 aces, according to tradition the umpire did congratulate each player for their sportsman like conduct … with the exception of one Ghost Rider who was fined twenty five cents for the use of too strong language in the presence of women and children:

Gm2-002.jpg

Followed by the two captains thanking their respective opponents for a match well played;

Gm2-003.jpg

And the vanquished Ghost Riders did give their vanquisher a jolly “HIP HIP HOOZAH!”

Gm2-004.jpg

Followed by the Hilltoppers granting a “HIP HIP HOOZAH!” to their gallant opponents:

Gm2-005.jpg

LWW

In game 3 the home club, and still champion, Cincinnati Red Stockings squared off against the challenging Somonauk BlueStockings who did strike the ball often and with a vengeance:

BlueSoxHit001.jpg

This one for a double base strike:

BlueSoxHit002.jpg

BlueSoxHit003.jpg

LWW

In the end they were no match for the stiff defense of the RedStockings:

RedlegsField001.jpg

RedlegsField002.jpg

RedlegsPitch001.jpg

LWW

In combination with their able hurling:

RedlegsPitch002.jpg

Redlegspitch003.jpg

RedlegsPitch004.jpg

LWW

And fell valiantly by a score of Cincinnati Red Stockings 13 aces to the Somonauk Blue Stockings 10 aces:

Game1-001.jpg

LWW

Wow...thats a pile of pics!!!

Nice shots, and a great story.

TeamPhoto001.jpg

Nine men. Nine innings. No gloves. Base ball the way it was meant to be played.

Games began at 10:00 AM and continued through the early afternoon.

Temperatures ranged from the mid 80's to low 90's.

All photos were taken handheld with matrix metering and aperture priority using a Nikon D50 and Nikkor 18MM-55MM f3.5 to 5.6 ED AF-S and Nikkor 80MM-200MM f2.8 EDIF AF.

Photos are unaltered other than quick cropping in Photochop to remove/minimize evidence of the year 2008.

If they are popular I might convert some to black and white.

As some of you know I am a huge fan of the Vintage Base Ball League and was a player in my younger days ... before MrsLWW threatened severe bodily harm if I suffered another sports related injury.

I hope these are enjoyed by the members as much as I enjoyed taking them and watching the festivities.

LWW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back