Ballists, cranks, and spectators invited.

LWW

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QUEEN CITY BASE BALL FESTIVAL

To be conducted this coming Saturday June 14, 2008 with matches to begin at 10:00 AM. There shall be matches held simultaneously on each of three grounds. The festival is jointly hosted by the home 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings and Cincinnati Buckeyes. Adversaries shal be the Champion Hill Toppers, the Hoover Sweepers, the Mudville Base Ball Club, and the Somonauk Blue Stockings. Contests of skill shall follow the conclusion of the last match. Rules and equipment shall be those established and in common use in 1869. Admission shall be whatever value you deem to have received.

Due advancing years,threat of bodily harm from MrsLWW if I sustain another sporting injury, and the financial woes of the hometown Dayton Clodbusters ... whom I haven't honestly played for in over 10 years ... the forum fan favorite El Dubb Dubb will not be a participant even though my skills as a striker are still largely intact. I do intend to be present in order to preserve a photographic record of the annual tournament matches and festivities. I anticipate a good time to be had by all in attendance, weather permitting.

During an 1860's rules base ball match, it is not unusual for one or both clubs to score 20 or more aces before the vanquished adversary has went through it's full allotment of lost hands.

Matches shall be conducted with the highest standards of gentlemanly behavior and respect for all adversaries and spectators in attendance. Fines for violations of the rules of conduct have historically been $0.25 for the first offense of the season and $0.50 for the second offense of the season and a suspension for the balance of the season for a third offense.

Hooting and hollering from the spectators is permitted however threats of violence against the umpire is frowned upon. Vulgar language in the presence of ladies in attendance will not be tolerated and open wagering is forbidden.

EIGHTEEN HUNDRED AND SIXTY NINE BASE BALL RULES

The following is a brief tutorial translating the vintage vernacular to the modern vernacular.

VINTAGE........................MODERN
Club ................................Team
Home Base .......................Home Plate
Ballist................................Player
Pitcher's Point....................Pitching Rubber
Ground.............................Field
Spectator..........................Fan
Crank...............................Loudmouthed fan
Hand Lost..........................Player Out
Adversary.........................Opponent
Striker/Batsman.................Batter
Hurler..............................Pitcher
Game Keeper....................Score Keeper
Ace..................................Run
Leg It...............................Run to Base

LWW

Sounds like tons of fun!!! I wish we had stuff like that around here!
I'm not sure where you are, but check their site and links.

They tour the country and the VBBL is growing.

LWW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back