A tough subject

Scott WRG Editor

King of Smoothness
Reaction score
Website
www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org
chase was right in locking the previous topic on the cancer and I'm just going to say one thing and drop the subject. I had testicular cancer and survived. I talk about it with people to help them not be terrified of it, for themselves or a loved one. When I was diagnosed those around me treated me like I had recieved the death sentence. If anybody wants to discuss it you can e-mail me at [email protected] or pm me here. I'm not an expert, I'm just a survivor, I'll provide what answers I can.

I wanted to do this in the other thread: :hug: because I know you've been through a life-altering experience. I've been in the medical field for a reeeeally long time, and it never ceases to amaze me how some people equate cancer with leprosy. :roll:

I'm really glad you're here, and that you mentioned it one more time so I could give you your well-deserved hug. :D

I really appreciate your sharing that with us, and I am all for these kinds of posts in the off-topic area of the forum. I think an open discussion about these kinds of things benefits everyone.

Hopefully people can stick to the theme of this post :)

aye, my friend. thank you for your courage, and i too extend a (manly) hug for your victory over a heinous disease that has in some way touched us all.

Scott,

I too wanted to reply to you in the other thread but it was locked when I came home. Hmmm....my first locked thread didn't realize I was going to be so contraversial! Contrats to you on 3 years cancer free. It's people like you that provide hope and support for others battling this awful disease. So, thanks!

Scott, thanks for sharing and for congrats for kicking it.

Scott, thank you for the offer, i hope nobody actually needs to discuss that! Wishing everyone who is in this difficult situation to have strength to beat the craB out of it...

Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

I have to agree that cancer is one of the worst things in the world... in march(ish) 2001, A friend of mine asked me to speak to a girl on the net - who had just been diagnosed with leukaemia (leukemia for you funny americans)... I talked to her for ages - and she told me every day what was happening. I always went to bed crying... around april - I promised her that if she lost her hair - I would shave my head... Not long after that - The Leukaemia Foundation's World's Greatest Shave came up... So I decided - if i was going to do it anyway - I may aswell do it and raise some money...

So I signed up...

Just over a week before I was due to shave - she disappeared... To this day we don't know if it was a cruel joke. But we managed to track her through the internet. (We managed to find out her school, address, etc... and lucky for us her school posted their newsletters online - (and conveniently put happy birthday notices in)).

I went ahead with the shave anyway... I raised around $700AU. A couple of months later I joined the Leukaemia Quest.. and have been fundraising in the Quest ever since... to date - 3 and a bit years on - I have raised about $17,000 for the Leukaemia Foundation... And I am hoping to raise alot more this year...

---------------------------

I learnt a few things during these few years
- Cancer is a horrible, horrible thing.
- Some people are very ignorant.
- Be careful who you trust.

(just to name a few)

--- Scott - Congratulations on your victory.

-- I didn't mean to hijack your thread - but seeing as everyone was talking about this kind of thing - I thought it was appropriate to add my story...

- Alecia

My mom has been batteling cancer for about 8 years now. When I was in highschool she was diagnosed with Breast cancer. It was in its very early stages so it was removed. Later they found more so she went through chemo and radiation. She won that battle.

A year later she was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Stage 4 is very far advanced. They said that she would have roughly 8 months to live. She fought hard and went through surgerys, chemo and radiation. Less than a year later she won that fight.

6 months after that they found more cancer in her abdomen. She is currently fighting it. She just got a body scan and blood tests back and the doctors say that the cancer is slowly leaving.

Chances are that this is what her life will be like. She will have cancer, beat it, more cancer, beat it. I know that some day she will probably loose the fight.

We have talked a lot about it and she knows that when ever she wants to stop fighting that its ok with me. Its hard to see her sick all the time from the treatments. She fights to see me and my brothers get married. She cant wait to have grand kids some day.

As much as a colonoskopy (sp?) isnt fun, please get checked. My mom was only in her late 30's when she was first diagnosed with breast cancer. And she was only 43 when they found the colon cancer. Never say you are too young, or that it wont happen to you.

Never say you are too young, or that it wont happen to you.

Yep. Because no one is, and yes it can.

I think your mom is among the bravest of brave. She is exhibiting a strong will and positive mindset, which I think must be the hardest thing in the world. Here's to her: :thumbsup: She sounds like a class act, honey.

And this is for you: :hug: because you sound like an amazing, supportive son. :love:

fadingaway1986 said:
--- Scott - Congratulations on your victory.

-- I didn't mean to hijack your thread - but seeing as everyone was talking about this kind of thing - I thought it was appropriate to add my story...

- Alecia

Thanks, and no worries about the hijack. This thread was meant for people to talk about thier experiences and bring it out in the open. The more you talk the less cancer is the big bad boojum. Thanks for sharing.

graigdavis said:
As much as a colonoskopy (sp?) isnt fun, please get checked. My mom was only in her late 30's when she was first diagnosed with breast cancer. And she was only 43 when they found the colon cancer. Never say you are too young, or that it wont happen to you.

Thanks for sharing Graig and I wish your mom the best.

And I agree, get checked, go for a physical, if something feels weird get it looked at. I was 32 when I was diagnosed. I was lucky. If I had waited much longer I would have had a tougher time or even have died. The cancer had already started to spread but we caught it.

Please, suck up the embaressmnet, reluctance or whatever is making you not go to the doctor and just do it. It's a lot easier than having to go through chemo.

Dealing with the colon cancer...if you've ever had pollups on your colon, you DEFINATLY need to get checked. It's a major risk factor. I'm only 22, but I should really get myself checked. I had pollups when I was just a kid.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back