A True HDR photo " The

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say where the line should be drawn, however I can say with certainty where the extremes are. Anyone can look at the majority of the images and decided immediately where they belong. If they can, if the image is so close it could go either way, then does it really matter?

As I said earlier I'd love to play with HDR and get some assistance with it but I'm not interested in that overcooked, oversaturated "Stuff" and I don't really want input from people who generate it. There way of generating HDR is not something that interests me whatsoever and it would be difficult for me to accept, or even bother trying, any of their recommendations as to how to improve any HDR that I gneerated. There are exceptions, of course, because there are those here who are obviously capable of creating either. The OP of this topic is a perfect example.

I can't say where the line should be drawn, however I can say with certainty where the extremes are. Anyone can look at the majority of the images and decided immediately where they belong. If they can, if the image is so close it could go either way, then does it really matter?

As I said earlier I'd love to play with HDR and get some assistance with it but I'm not interested in that overcooked, oversaturated "Stuff" and I don't really want input from people who generate it. There way of generating HDR is not something that interests me whatsoever and it would be difficult for me to accept, or even bother trying, any of their recommendations as to how to improve any HDR that I gneerated. There are exceptions, of course, because there are those here who are obviously capable of creating either. The OP of this topic is a perfect example.

I get that to an extent, but having a different gallery won't prevent that, as a large portion of the posters read the forums via the 'new post' search button and they would still make comments on your more moderate HDR image (or whatever we are going to call only slightly tonemapped images).

This being a public forum, there's no way you can prevent those whose taste is different from yours from commenting on your images. You just have to take it in stride and focus on the comments of those whose tastes align with yours.

Obtuse is such a silly word.

silly? personally, i find a well rounded vocabulary refreshing.

Obtuse, adjective
definition 1- not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull.

I would say the word conveyed the feeling quite adequately and was well used.
Im not saying I agree with the statement, with my limited knowledge on the subject, im just saying the word was well chosen for the implied feeling.

[h=1][/h]

I get that to an extent, but having a different gallery won't prevent that, as a large portion of the posters read the forums via the 'new post' search button and they would still make comments on your more moderate HDR image (or whatever we are going to call only slightly tonemapped images).

This being a public forum, there's no way you can prevent those whose taste is different from yours from commenting on your images. You just have to take it in stride and focus on the comments of those whose tastes align with yours.

You're right, and I agree with that. However I think, and perhaps I'm wrong, that the majority of the posts would fall into the proper category and people would tend to take note of things. At least most of the time. Much the same as the black and white forum coexists with the other forums since there is overlap among forum members. Some people do shoot both and they are smart enough to figure out which forum area their shots belong in. I think that having two HDR forum areas would result in similar use.

Obtuse, adjective
definition 1- not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull.

Im not saying I agree with the statement, with my limited knowledge on the subject, im just saying the word was well chosen for the implied feeling.

It is a silly sounding word.

I do apologize fjrabon. I shouldnt have called you stupid. Mentally challenged is the politically correct term.

An HDR image is just an ordinary plain image that has a greater dynamic range than a single shot which does make it special and deserving its own thread. Its unique and very limited in how it looks. Thats all.

The problem here is that you've already stated you're okay with some tonemapping as long as it's 'light'. That contradicts what you just said. Even a moderately tonemapped image isn't "just an ordinary, plain image that has a greater dynamic range than a single shot"

If this is so clear, then why do you keep giving contradictory definitions of what TRUE HDR (copyright Bynx) is?

Obtuse, adjective

It is a silly sounding word.

oh. yes. obtuse. OBTUSE. obtuuuuuuuse. silly indeed.
i still like the fact it got used though.

Ok, I think I have a very simple solution. Why not just label your posting with

Photorealistic HDR "then your subject"

Saturated HDR "then your subject"

Overcooked HDR "then your subject"

Black and white HDR "then your subject"

Heavily processed HDR "then your subject"

Faux HDR "then your subject" (this would be single images that either have been tonemapped of manually adjusting exposures to then use to generate an hdr)

It might take time getting use to always adding a HDR category to your title but at least it would let folks know what to expect before they look.

The problem I still see here is that if someone who does not like HDR happens to be curious as curiosity killed the cat and decided to then bash on a the photo, would then make it all pointless.

Now you take a guy like me who likes ALL areas of HDR, I would enter every posting to take a look and see if I like, if I could help if help was wanted. I am not prejudice to any one area of HDR.

The flip sid of this would be that if someone lets say posts with a title like Photorealistic HDR and you are trying to help and edit a photo of theirs. It would be important to keep it in those same guidelines.

If someone one posted in Overcooked HDR then there should be no negative comments like this is way to overcooked!

Will this really happen probably not but it is a start!

inaka said:
have a feeling this thread will not end well...

Your words were prophetic. Lol.

It's not particularly hard to predict:

Does Bynx have an opinion that anybody disagrees with? Yes? It will get locked fairly soon by the mods as he starts calling people names like a small child that hasn't gotten his way.

there's been like 4-5 threads in the last few weeks that have been locked because bynx threw hissy fits and started calling people names.

And it's an absolute shame. There have been some wonderful images posted here but, because they don't fall exactly in line with what Bynx wants to see, he acts immaturely. Yesterday he called me a dickhead (that was edited out by a moderator). Nice to see that, today, I at least have some company in being called "stupid".

And, just because I feel like it, here's a nice tone-mapped image:, presented for the enjoyment of almost everyone:

7423869662_7c744c3b23_c.jpg

I do apologize fjrabon. I shouldnt have called you stupid. Mentally challenged is the politically correct term.

An HDR image is just an ordinary plain image that has a greater dynamic range than a single shot which does make it special and deserving its own thread. Its unique and very limited in how it looks. Thats all. Why do you refuse to use a thread already set up for your creations? They might have started out as HDR images but through processing have gone beyond that to just digitally altered images and should be filed as such. The original aim of HDR was to create a more lifelike view of a scene that couldnt be shot in a single shot. Its intention wasnt to burn the eyeballs with blazing colors or to illustrate comic books.

Would a mod please step in and do something? Id prefer to help someone along and maybe get some help form someone than for this bickering to continue. It doesnt do any of us or this site any good. But it would be nice to have an HDR forum where the images look like really good photos and illustrate to those who think HDR is crap that good processing will produce a great image.

Yeah, like show Bynx the door for a while...

You're making the assumption, then, that people who post the heavily-cooked stuff are unable to provide input, and that's kinda' silly. Just because they post one thing doesn't mean they don't know how to do the other. Making that assumption could cost you some valuable input...

Ok, I think I have a very simple solution. Why not just label your posting with

Photorealistic HDR "then your subject"

Saturated HDR "then your subject"

Overcooked HDR "then your subject"

Black and white HDR "then your subject"

Heavily processed HDR "then your subject"

Faux HDR "then your subject" (this would be single images that either have been tonemapped of manually adjusting exposures to then use to generate an hdr)

It might take time getting use to always adding a HDR category to your title but at least it would let folks know what to expect before they look.

The problem I still see here is that if someone who does not like HDR happens to be curious as curiosity killed the cat and decided to then bash on a the photo, would then make it all pointless.

Now you take a guy like me who likes ALL areas of HDR, I would enter every posting to take a look and see if I like, if I could help if help was wanted. I am not prejudice to any one area of HDR.

The flip sid of this would be that if someone lets say posts with a title like Photorealistic HDR and you are trying to help and edit a photo of theirs. It would be important to keep it in those same guidelines.

If someone one posted in Overcooked HDR then there should be no negative comments like this is way to overcooked!

Will this really happen probably not but it is a start!

Why not?

Because all of that is only to appease the desires of one member here; a member who's chosen to act like an immature child in his dealings with others.

For that reason, alone, I would not adhere to such phrases in my titles...

You're right, and I agree with that. However I think, and perhaps I'm wrong, that the majority of the posts would fall into the proper category and people would tend to take note of things. At least most of the time. Much the same as the black and white forum coexists with the other forums since there is overlap among forum members. Some people do shoot both and they are smart enough to figure out which forum area their shots belong in. I think that having two HDR forum areas would result in similar use.

Yeah, I don't think it would help. Go to the B+W gallery and read through threads. On about half of them you'll find at least one C+C of "I think this would work better as a color image".

Even if we labelled things as overcooked HDR I can guarantee you that posters who don't like that style would still come in and say "I think this is wildly overcooked to the point of being tacky!" And if you labelled it photorealistic HDR you'd have people come in and do edits that are wildly overbaked.

Probably the easiest way to deal with it is to simply shrug those types of comments off. That will likely work much better than trying to construct a digital fence around images and yelling "get off my lawn!"

fjrabon, I take back being pollitically correct. You really are an idiot. All HDR images are tone mapped otherwise there would be no HDR image to see. Its just when they are so heavily tone mapped or its a single file thats tone mapped and lumped together with a good HDR image that I think isnt right. Vip you are making divisions of bad HDR images with too many categories. And when I say bad HDR I dont mean bad image. The HDR forum should have only Photorealistic images as per your first category. That goes for both b&w and color since the idea is to have a broader dynamic range. Saturated HDR, Overcooked HDR, and Heavily processed HDR, all fall under the same category.....Digitally altered images. Now that is really simple. Thank you for clearing that up.

As for your door Steve, its not a good example for HDR because there is NO DYNAMIC RANGE. But you have still managed to fill in the shadows and create halos. It would still go in the HDR forum though and through advice from others you would eventually catch on how to do it right. That is of course if it wasnt just a single file you monkeyed with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back