Abandon Cabin, New Mexico

f64_or_bust

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
southwest-cottage.jpg

NIce shot but I find the foreground to be overly bright against such a dark sky.

NIce shot but I find the foreground to be overly bright against such a dark sky.
Thanks, but that is kind of the point. Red filters do that. Its why I used it. Otherwise the sky is very light and everything is a kind of flat gray.

Love the shot. What part of New Mexico was this at?

Love the shot. What part of New Mexico was this at?
To be honest, I wasn't keeping great records then. Based on other shots from known locations and times, a bit of fooling with Google Maps, this was around Cline's Corners, NM, on the south side of I-40/Rt-66, off a frontage road, and had several buildings like that. This location was like so many along that road, but it was the most rustic of all, where most are just depressing and rotten relics of the RT66 era, especially as you go through TX. This was clearly a bit older. I took lots of shots in about an hour and a half. The shoot ended because at one point I looked out past the buildings and saw a red pickup headed our way. We hopped back in our vehicle and shot back onto the frontage road and sped back onto I40 with a cloud of dust behind us. I wasn't positive we were on privage land, but I basically didn't need a closeup of the gun rack in that truck. It was shot in November of 2010. Canon 350D, f/10, 1/200s, 17-85mm @ 17mm, ISO 100. Red filter in post, slight overall exposure bump, no other tweaks. I was referencing Ansel, but fell far short with my puny 8mp sensor.

Thanks, but that is kind of the point. Red filters do that. Its why I used it. Otherwise the sky is very light and everything is a kind of flat gray.
Yeah, I know but just as easily you could have used a .3 to .6 graduated filter to add some life the the bottom portion of the image. Why you used the red filter is why I, in general don't partake in its use without the graduated filter as well. Curious, since you use the f/64 moniker, what camera/lens are you shooting?

I used do a lot of AltPro work, mostly PtPd and salt using 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14 film negatives. Now, I have cheesed out to the wonders of the digital negative and can make negatives any size I chose.

I hope you took the road from Clines Corner to Santa Fe as it is quite interesting.

Yeah, I know but just as easily you could have used a .3 to .6 graduated filter to add some life the the bottom portion of the image. Why you used the red filter is why I, in general don't partake in its use without the graduated filter as well.
Sorry, I hate grads. Always have. To me they just scream "Hi, I'm using a grad." I'll do a very selective area exposure adjustment in post if needed. I didn't think it needed it because it says what I wanted to say.
Curious, since you use the f/64 moniker, what camera/lens are you shooting?
I've shot with everything from Minox to 2 1/4, just not large format, though I've owned a 4x5. And now, after 60+ years of shooting, I'm probably not going to.
I used do a lot of AltPro work, mostly PtPd and salt using 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14 film negatives. Now, I have cheesed out to the wonders of the digital negative and can make negatives any size I chose.
Yup. Digits do everything I dreamed of doing in chemicals, but never achieved. Been using Photoshop since 1992, never looked back. And my monitor doesn't smell like a darkroom.
I hope you took the road from Clines Corner to Santa Fe as it is quite interesting.
Yes, we started the trip in Palm Springs. Hit Phoenix and Sedona, did that trip both ways severa times.

Subjective, of course, but I feel the red filter is over the top. Love the grasses and the images generally

Last edited:
The are is georgous given the area further south near Vaun and Encino and Duran.

The use of the filters is a long time favorite of mine. Always invokes the mood of the state

Nice work.

I like the shots.

I agree most of the time the sky is just boring, that is why folks photoshop one in. The red filter make a big difference.

I live in both worlds the PC and chemicals. It is a genetic defect for those of us who like to tinker. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back