Abandoned and Elevated Railway

Dean_Gretsch

Papa
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Abandoned RR.jpg

I like the scene, but it's a bit heavy on the mid-tones; I think maybe a slight curves adjustment and/or contrast bump?

When I first viewed this on my phone, I agreed with John, but after viewing on my monitor, I can see there is contrast there, it's more a case of everything being the same color. The trees, the track, the concrete, the sky, there just isn't much tonal variation.

I'm taking a guess here, but I'm assuming your weather is similar to ours of the last few days, cloudy and overcast. That by itself will cause a landscape to lack much dynamic range. Best way to avoid that is shoot during the golden hours or wait for a better day. If it can't be avoided then bring the image into PS, and adjust the black point and white point with Levels. Add a contrast layer and adjust for a nice RGB S curve.

Try some color filter effects on it in Lightroom, or channel mixer in Photoshop; it needs to have some tonal variation in the trees for it to really Pop!

Thanks all! Those tips are greatly appreciated. The weather was wonderful earlier this morning before lunch, but clouds and wind moved in at noon and remained for the rest of the day. I picked the wrong part of the day to go visit this site. I have been meaning to go for awhile, but kept waiting until today.

Most reactions

Back