What's new

Abandoned Bow Window

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
5,213
Reaction score
983
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The next time I need some "me time", I'm going back here with a chair.

p479189567-4.jpg
 
Very neat spot. I'm not super excited by the composition, but I bet you could do more with it with some time.

You know what's interesting is for some reason I think the fact that the white part of the roof (the round part) touching the top of the frame winds up breaking the encapsulation for me visually. It leads my eye ouf ot if, and for some reason I very much want the rounded part to be boxed in to give it more of an abstracty feel... and for some reason that part breaks it for me visually.
 
I think I could spend a week photographing just that one area. Nice shot... well done.
 
I like it. Love the geometry and all the shapes that are going on. Not sure why but there's something uneasy about the composition. Could be that darkness of either side of the frame, but not sure.
 
on second thought. I think it's too tight. A wider angle might have worked better. Either way. good shot.
 
would love to shoot my fisheye there. Nice find
 
Very nice. It seems the outside is just too nice for the inside but maybe that contrast makes it more powerful.
 
Very neat spot. I'm not super excited by the composition, but I bet you could do more with it with some time.

You know what's interesting is for some reason I think the fact that the white part of the roof (the round part) touching the top of the frame winds up breaking the encapsulation for me visually. It leads my eye ouf ot if, and for some reason I very much want the rounded part to be boxed in to give it more of an abstracty feel... and for some reason that part breaks it for me visually.
Thank you for the detailed feedback. This was a tough location to shoot for many reasons, one being that this was the top level of the house and the floor was giving in on several spots. Even without the danger of falling though a hole, the architecture was pretty challenging to shoot. I felt frustrated while I was shooting, and the frustration followed me when I left the house. I hated every shot that I took that day, for a while. I owe myself another visit to this place, but I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen.

Very nice. It seems the outside is just too nice for the inside but maybe that contrast makes it more powerful.
As decayed (and vandalized) as this house was, you could tell that it had been quite the big-ass residence back in the day. I'm sure that the beautiful view was a good match for the house back then. Now... it's just a playground for people like me :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated.
 
The geometry is certainly interesting. This is a good shot, I think.
 
Awesome find!!!
I too found something just a little awkward about it.
I think its a little too in the center for me. I think that if you got down a little lower, and maybe a little bit further back, along with having it fall into the Rule of Thirds, I think that this shot could be really killer.
Just spewing ideas out now, What if you stirred up alot of dust, completely blew out the windows, and had the rays of sun illuminate lines of dust.
Anyways, good job!
Steve
 
What if you stirred up alot of dust, completely blew out the windows, and had the rays of sun illuminate lines of dust.
Haha, that'd be a Hollywood production by my standards. I like to shoot things the way I find them, and rarely ever do I add anything. ("rarely ever" = Sybil)

Thanks for the feedback, Steve!
 
This would make a nice hdr....
My next HDR image will be my first (and I think it's only going to happen after I die).

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Good for you, man. Fight the power. :)
Haha! Nothing against HDR, but it's just not my cup of tea. I do believe it has its uses though. One of my buddies shoots almost only HDR and gets incredible stuff (landscapes, abandonments, etc.). He also does real estate photography and HDR makes his images look great (and they still look natural).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom