Abandoned Buildings

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some shots of an abandoned psychiatric complex. Sadly we aren't allowed in and due to vandals and evil photographers they are very strict and watchful, so I won't even attempt sneaking in. The bottom two were taken through broken windows. Note: The first has a fairly edited sky - something I try to avoid doing but couldn't resist in this case.

#1:
4506645704_13ed5d34b6_o.jpg

#2:
4504672222_2a11ffc107_o.jpg

#3:
4476193627_243716ce4b_o.jpg

#4:
4463473963_2fec2b1929_o.jpg

c&c always appreciated :)

I can't quite put my finger on it, but... that last one creeps me out! :pale:

Great photos!

That is quite wicked!

Great photos!

For me, it's the open doors! It suggests activity, or unleashing, AH! And, the picture that's still there on the wall in the 3rd and (more importantly) 4th shots is so neat. There is so much to enjoy in these, the 4th shot being my favorite.

The 2nd shot, to me, is really great with the established context. Perfect distance! Fun stuff. Thanx.

Great photos!

Thanks! That's what I was aiming for. :)

PerfectlyFlawed said:
wow... they mus have painted those walls a million times...the different colors look cool.. and the first shot is AWESOME.. the sky totally fits.. makes it look creepy

Thanks! :)

cnutco said:
That is quite wicked!

Thank you :)

robitussin217 said:
For me, it's the open doors! It suggests activity, or unleashing, AH! And, the picture that's still there on the wall in the 3rd and (more importantly) 4th shots is so neat. There is so much to enjoy in these, the 4th shot being my favorite.

The 2nd shot, to me, is really great with the established context. Perfect distance! Fun stuff. Thanx.

Thank you very much! :)

SkyBaby said:
Well done! You nailed that haunted look.

Aaah cool! It's a creepy place, nice that I could capture a bit of the feeling :)

molested_cow said:
So, someone's been keeping the lawn tidy?

Actually yes. The grounds (they are very big) of the complex was converted to a state park. The buildings remain mostly abandoned (one small one was turned into a visitors center/museum), but they keep the grounds looking nice.
Kings Park Psychiatric Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <- This is the place.

These are good, loving the evil sky in #1.

I'm thinking #2 might fit the look you're going for a bit better in B&W.

Love 3 and 4. They show very nicely what I call the "leprosy of buildings."

#2, with the maintained lawn, doesn't give a sense of an abandoned building.

And #1, I don't mind the PP at al, but the distortion does bother me.

These are good, loving the evil sky in #1.

I'm thinking #2 might fit the look you're going for a bit better in B&W.

hmmm you may be right about #2. I'll see how it looks. Thanks for the kind words :)

c.cloudwalker said:
Love 3 and 4. They show very nicely what I call the "leprosy of buildings."
#2, with the maintained lawn, doesn't give a sense of an abandoned building.
And #1, I don't mind the PP at al, but the distortion does bother me.

Thanks! I like the distortion, but nothing I could have done about it anyway since it was a panorama shot. Again, thanks :)

erose86 said:
LOVE them. I agree with everything everyone said above me, so I'll skip all that. I get freaked out easily so I probably wouldn't even had the balls to walk UP close enough to the building to get pictures through the windows, hahaha.

This might be a really stupid question, but, what kind of lens did you use for #1?

I don't remember off hand.. it was either the Canon kit lens or the 50mm I have. It's a panorama shot tho which is why it looks so distorted like that. Thanks for the comments :)

Amazing shots!!! I <3 #1, but something about it looks a little off to me, maybe slightly tilted? But great shots :)

ok all the words i want to say is good photo.

there is a place very similar to this in Connecticut (Fairfield Hills)

dig the first shot

Most reactions

Back