ABC's Cancelled Shows

RancerDS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Every year there is at least one or two great shows, addicting shows, that never makes the cut past the network executives.

My biggest fear of a non-returning show was Friday Night Lights. It did return, is a bit of a disappointment, but is still one of the best shows EVER! Not sure how much longer Jack Bauer can save the world, but hope Kiefer Sutherland doesn't get too old or decrepit to act. And Greg House may end up diagnosing and treating every ailment in the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR); but you gotta love hating him sometimes. STILL.... I'm here to rag on ABC, not the others.

Defying Gravity & Kyle XY
Okay, ever since ABC was purchased by Disney, it is a little more sickening to watch shows that are so family-value oriented. But I'm adult and can go for lots of G-rated television if it isn't aimed at the 13-year old market on Saturday mornings. I thought Kyle XY was in that market at first, though did come to realize it was aimed more at teenagers. Since I'm not a big fan of the CW network, even that is an adjustment to my sensibilities. But that show did end up being quite good enough so that I watched a second episode, then a third... until all 3 seasons worth of episodes were anxiously awaited then watched. Defying Gravity, bless Ron Livingston's poor luck at keeping a steady stream of work, was a decent surprise as well. The first episode was certainly entertaining. It had an unbelievably good cast, which certainly didn't include HUGE name actors (so the actor's salaries couldn't have been the issue). The casting made sure to include a range of race and nationality. What is worse is that they definitely set the hook in the season's first finale.

Castle
Is it hanging by a thread? Great concept, main actress isn't "blow-your-socks-off" sexy, but she makes a conceivable female detective. She pulls of playing tough fairly well. Matthew Fillon (of the deceased "Firefly" and in the movie Serenity, is a charming character with a good family cast setting. Molly Quinn is beyond cute. The co-detectives includes one new face to me and one face from "Generation Kill". What was funny was that James Patterson and Stephen J. Cannell made guest apperances in some early episodes. IT's survived two seasons, but am betting it will never make 4 or 5, simply because I enjoy it so much. IT IS A CONSIPRACY! (joke).

I realize all good things must come to an end eventually. The West Wing was certainly no exception. The only network worse than cutting out excellent shows is the Sci-Fi channel, but then they have to make some tough choices. The next worse is going to be NBC, naturally... since it is the "No Brain Children" network. Which is better than what Adam Sandler called it and worse than what Jay Leno does.

IN EDIT: For those of you still wanting to see photographs of something and were fans of Defying Gravity... check out this URL to a space-ship, built with Legos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/legomonster/4086561070/

Last edited:
I know that it isn't on ABC, on TNT instead, but we have kinda gotten into "Men of a Certain Age", and don't know if it is gonna make it.

Maybe I remember being that age, I know I like the music, I dunno, but I kinda like it for the 3-4 times I have watched it.

I really liked watching 'Pushing Daisies'. That was a unique show.

I was looking forward to Defying Gravity but after watching a few shows, I thought it stank.

A few months ago, I actually cancelled my cable entirely. I have some bunny ears so I can watch the news and other local things, but essentially, my TV time is not all that much and I'm enjoying the freedom. :)

How do you watch Friday Night Lights? On Demand?

Defying Gravity - I saw this and whilst it was interesting and had a good feel to itonce you got used to it the method of having a lot of flashbacks broke the story up a lot. It quickly got quite confusing (esp if you jump in after the first episode) and I can see why its ratings would not have climbed very high. Even myself the only reason I stuck with it initially was because I could see 2 episodes back to back on iplayer (uk) otherwise I would not have understood what was going on.

As for canceled shows - FIREFLY - ok its fox but still - oh dear firefly - cut down and destroyed by bad showtime, missordering and cutting the project before the first season was over :(

I was really irritated that Jericho got canceled. And Point Pleasant. The list goes on and on.

Most reactions

Back