Aberdulais Falls, Neath, South Wales

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do like these pictures of waterfalls, though as I have previously posed here, I am not all that convinced about the advantage of smoothing the flow.

I do like these pictures of waterfalls, though as I have previously posed here, I am not all that convinced about the advantage of smoothing the flow.
I've tried the super long exposures before with a ten stop. I think every waterfall is different. One I took in New Zealand, was perfect with a 0.3 second exposure:

Rainbow-falls-Kerikeri by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and 0.5 secs

Kerikeri-Rainbow-falls by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I found the 30 second ones wrong as it took away the texture of the water.

I think the 2 second one works well as I have exposed carefully to keep the texture in the water in the middle, and it hasn't just become a wall of white steam. I know that the long exposure argument is a divisive one, but hey, it's art and it is by definition subjective.

nice work,, I prefer the second image here as there's a tad more detail in the upper pond area , well not a pond area but upper spill area, I get the feeling maybe you should have posted in the BW section ;)

The 0.3 and 0.4 sec exposures look best to me. I've been thinking of trying this myself. I mean different times. I have some falls in mind.

The second set of photos have the exposure I look for when shooting falls. 5,10,30 seconds, etc. are too long for my taste. I do find that "smoothing out the flow" looks best. Freezing the action of waterfalls looks ugly as hell to me

The 0.3 and 0.4 sec exposures look best to me. I've been thinking of trying this myself. I mean different times. I have some falls in mind.
Where?
There's a place in Fallbrook called Grand Tradition that has a a garden with nice waterfalls. I was there before but no tripod and no ND filters.
Fallbrook%20136-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back