? about Canon 50mm and 85mm

Brian L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brianlinephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. I am stuck in between the canon 50mm 1.8 usm lens and the canon 85mm 1.4 usm lens. I own a canon 10d and I guess I just can't decide on either one. I will own a 70-200 sometime down the road so I think I might go with the 50mm plus someday ill own a canon 5d with the full frame sensor.

Should I just go buy one the 2 lenses try it out and if I don't like it try other?

Could someone give me some input on the lenses. If they like one for the other.

Ill be only shooting portraits with the lens.

Thanks guys if you can help..

Peace.

I doubt you'll be able to sell your 10D, and you have said PLUS, so...

Just get the 50mm f/1.4. The best of both worlds. Because you can always put the 50mm on the 10D, too... it'll be around 85mm and you'll have f/1.4. :)

Well if you are shooting indoor portraits, then the 50mm might be the better option because you won't have to stand so far back from the person. If it's a small room with the 85mm you might not be able to get far enough back.

Hello everyone. I am stuck in between the canon 50mm 1.8 usm lens and the canon 85mm 1.4 usm lens. I own a canon 10d and I guess I just can't decide on either one. I will own a 70-200 sometime down the road so I think I might go with the 50mm plus someday ill own a 5d with the full frame sensor.

What type of photos are you planning to take?

For outdoor Portrait type shots, I will love to use the 85mm prime (getting it soon).

If I am not mistaken, Canon did not make the lenses you described. Like the 50mm F/1.8 do not have a USM version and the 85mm do not have the F/1.4 version.

For 50mm lens:

Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.0L USM

As for the 85mm

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

Both 50mm and 85mm primes are GREAT lenses I love to have both. (of course together with the 70-200 L lens)

the 50mm should be just fine
clear.gif

Opps sorry guys typo on the lenses. you guy corrected me on it.

I will be shooting outdoor portraits 90% of the time through this summer. I hope to have a some kinda studio by the end but will see how everything works out.

I never thought bout how far back I would have to stand including the crop factor of course of my 10d. I think since im going to be shooting outdoors all summer I am going to go with the 85mm 1.8 usm.

Thanks guys for helping me with these things we just discussed.

Come Monday new lens to play with...

Peace guys and thanks.

They're both good.

Outdoors, working room shouldn't really be an issue.
If you're shooting headshots, you won't have to stand too far away.

To get a whole body in the frame with the 85mm you'll have to stand 20-30 feet away, at least. Outdoors that shouldn't be a problem, but inside it probably would be.

Great! Well come monday then like I said before new lens in the house....lol..
Thanks for the feedback again.

Peace.

Most reactions

Back